What is the substitute for ".IF ... .ELSE" and ".REPEAT .. UNTIL" as it is not allowed in 64-bit assembly. I am using MASM 64-bit.
Posted on 2011-09-21 10:47:42 by vaskar_paul
How about just using conditional jumps? :)
I suppose you can still make the macros yourself, if you want.
Posted on 2011-09-21 11:51:26 by Scali
I am using MASM 64-bit.
I am using JWASM.
Posted on 2011-09-21 22:09:13 by drizz
OK the deal is, basically, the macro engine in ML v8 (masm 64 bit) was deliberately broken by micro$haft, and to rub salt into the wound, the public license was edited to make sure that you can NOT use it for commercial software unless you buy a commercial license... which you get for free with MSVC, which indeed has some free versions! Negotiate the legal minefield, and your macro engine is still borked.
These are just some of the reasons that I am telling people to stop using masm and start using something else, after all, there are other options :)
It's unfortunate since most of the decent educational material is masm based (Icz Tutes for example) but this is the way it is.

Posted on 2011-09-22 04:34:03 by Homer
I think it might have something to do with the fact that virtually no micro$haft employees are capable of writing asm anymore, and it galls the company that people outside their company use their tools to create software that is far superior in both speed and size.
Posted on 2011-09-22 04:38:07 by Homer
That is speculative ( but enjoyable ) reasoning.  However, MS does indeed employ some pretty top-notch kernel guys who can "probably" beat the pants off "most" x86 folks.  The crux of the matter is that long term MS will slowly kill native code in preference to interpreted code, at least for programs written outside of MS.  From their perspective it makes sense to impose tighter controls on what rogue apps can do.  Note: More noose-tightening agenda being researched by MS: Windows 8 EUFI Secure boot ).
Posted on 2011-09-22 11:20:05 by p1ranha