How does the processor see and work with interrupts? I have read about the level, edge, hybrid, and message type of interrupts and that the device sends a pulse to signal for an interrupts, but how does a processor see that interrupts? Or is the interrupt visible to the processor at all? Thanks for any help with this
Posted on 2011-12-07 13:12:27 by lordgus
You already answered it yourself: The device sends a pulse to signal for an interrupt.
The CPU has a one or more pins to which devices can be connected in order to signal interrupts.
So the CPU 'sees' interrupts directly.
Generally there will be an interrupt controller chip between the CPU and the devices. So each device signals an interrupt to the interrupt controller. The interrupt controller will then generate an interrupt to the CPU. The CPU can read out the interrupt controller's registers to check which device generated the interrupt.
The interrupt controller can also mask interrupts, and handle multiple interrupts, sorting them on priority.
Posted on 2011-12-07 14:06:38 by Scali
Ahh I see thank you for that, I am still learning about how programs and the CPU acutely work not just let it run in its black box any more  :)
Posted on 2011-12-08 08:20:24 by lordgus