Hi everybody,
video preview of the docking features of the very next release of my 64bit IDE, MPL license
new video, here
http://youtu.be/gBEKZvu3Jpw

x64lab is
- IDE
- 64bit assembly
- unicode
- plug-ins
- technology
- fun

the first releases will be in a couple of weeks and with very few but robust features. it is on hg repository.
people interested eventually in plug-ins development or adopting that docking system for their apps,
let me know here or on x64lab website

Cheers,

.:mrk
  .:x64lab:.
group http://groups.google.com/group/x64lab
site http://sites.google.com/site/x64lab
Posted on 2012-03-26 18:49:25 by hopcode
some screenshot of the new features
in action now :

Posted on 2012-03-27 05:48:58 by hopcode
Interesting little project.  Some suggestions if I may:

1.) Is this a Windows only IDE?  I see from the screenshot you're using Scintilla which also runs under Linux.  Perhaps using wxWidgets, QT, or GTK+ for cross-platform portability?  I personally have not found a good IDE for both Windows and Linux development that suits my tastes although this may be outside of your features scope.

2.) The GIMP went a long period of time having multiple app windows before finally changing to a single main window app model.  This was probably the biggest issue end-users had with the program.  I may be wrong but it looks like your following that path based on your screenshot.

3.) For complete Unicode support, if you are not using the Pango/Cairo or ICU - International Components for Unicode libraries do yourself a favor - download and include it in your project.  There are an enormous amount of issues regarding multiple language support you may not even be aware of yet.  For example, the following is a quote from the Scintilla site: "Scintilla does not properly support right-to-left languages like Arabic and Hebrew. While text in these languages may appear correct, it is not possible to interact with this text as is normal with other editing components".
Posted on 2012-03-27 11:19:16 by p1ranha
Hi p1ranha,
good points. well,
1.) Is this a Windows only IDE?

yes, x64lab is and will be SDI.
...Perhaps using wxWidgets, QT, or GTK+ for cross-platform portability?

Gtk+ excluded a priori some years ago for its "today coded -> tomorrow deprecated" philosophy.
Qt is a wonderful tool. it is the State of Art. i have a basic GUI test-version of x64lab from a recompiled Qt64
and it runs fine. Qt has a lot of portability, on handys to and, considering the new M$+Nokia mobil
joint-business, it will acquire a lot of market in a near future, imho.

Qt is my surprising tipp to those who want fast portability, or aims to the market.
not suitable for my goal, sure, and after some more major reasons (among them the
fact that i use only assembly programming)
3.) For complete Unicode support,...regarding multiple language support you may not
even be aware of yet...

mmmh, i may or not. i will try or i simply do it. 8)
..."Scintilla does not properly support right-to-left languages like Arabic and Hebrew.
While text in these languages may appear correct, it is not possible to interact with this text
as is normal with other editing components".

that is a minor issue after considering Scintilla as the simplest of all editor in usage,
source-opened and intelligent piece of code.

finally i would like to outline that plug-ins coding for x64lab could be done
in any language choosen, using the favorite toolchain or the concept you apply. one only requirement is
to pack it for Windows in a DLL and export a couple of functions to instantiate it etc.
it may/not be OOP, it may/not be a COM object, whenever
you think it is useful to program it to act as a COM too. but that's not a requirement for x64lab.
you can use for it the license you like, or you can close its source,
because the MPL licence of x64lab allows it.i.e. coding a tool/plug-in for
an application,or coding it to be embedded as plug-in in x64lab is done in almost the same time.

Cheers,

some times ago i tested my old MDI x32lab on 32bit Ubuntu+Wine and it runs 99% ok, i.e.
except some few minor flaws on MDI system. note that both "labs" use very few APIs

note also that the union of a tabs-system and a docking-system make in most cases
the MDI model useless. Qt has a good support of MDI though. some month ago, in a previous version of my docking
system,i built in the MDI support, taking inspiration from Qt's features. then i have disabled those features for the reason explained above.

Posted on 2012-03-27 17:43:28 by hopcode

Qt is my surprising tipp to those who want fast portability, or aims to the market.
not suitable for my goal, sure, and after some more major reasons (among them the
fact that i use only assembly programming)

mmh, the choice is obviously yours, but handle it with care though.
as living example, i may quote the SciDavis graph tool.
it relies on Qt+Python, i.e. tons of unuseful ram-trashing megabytes.

the fact is that this one cannot be at the moment the good alternative to gnuplot.
whenever its GUI is dynamic, it hangs more of the times when you set it at work with
even small amount of data (2,4,6 megabytes as sample). this makes the SciDavis unuseful
and practically of the "toys'  series" software; what a pity !! :sad:

on the contrary, the gnuplot being shoddy (am i allowed to say so ?) i.e:
not only poor quality software for what it achieves, but neglected design too for what
in it the correction of bugs achieves.

reliable software is not a point in the graphic capability of gnuplot's coders, :lol:

Cheers,
Posted on 2012-04-03 00:59:22 by hopcode
I am proud to announce you the first working release of
x64lab assembly IDE under the MPL 2.0 License

It is a bit more than an alpha version and consequently
lot of features are deactivated at the moment,
neverthless it's all assembly in alive and kicking now!

try source and binary packed from
http://code.google.com/p/x64lab/downloads/list

or browse it (hg Mercurial) from
http://code.google.com/p/x64lab/source/browse/

Cheers,

Posted on 2012-06-22 09:12:15 by hopcode