Hey,
I need to get info such as time and date of folder/file was created.

While using 4eh/4fh functions with DTA (disk transfer area), then it returns only info like file name, time/date of LAST MODIFICATION etc., but how to gain info of file/folder being created ? Is it some how possible ?

I am using nasm (.com application). Hope for help :)
Posted on 2012-04-28 10:03:39 by hElllk
I don't think that's possible with DOS, as DOS only supports FAT, which stores only one date per file/folder, being the last modified date.
Other data is only available with NTFS or a similar filesystem, but you'd have to use the Windows API to access the data.
Posted on 2012-04-28 16:13:07 by Scali

I don't think that's possible with DOS, as DOS only supports FAT, which stores only one date per file/folder, being the last modified date.
Other data is only available with NTFS or a similar filesystem, but you'd have to use the Windows API to access the data.

Seems to be logical :) Thanks for help!
Posted on 2012-04-28 16:22:01 by hElllk
I'd have given the same answer as Scali - "can't do it" - but according to this information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

dos 7.0 actually does keep a creation date. There seem to be a lot of "ifs" involved - those bytes might mean something else - but start looking around offset 0xD of the directory entry and see if you see anything "meaningful"...

Gotta scroll about 2/3 down the page to find it. Good luck!

Best,
Frank

Posted on 2012-04-28 16:45:47 by fbkotler

dos 7.0 actually does keep a creation date. There seem to be a lot of "ifs" involved - those bytes might mean something else - but start looking around offset 0xD of the directory entry and see if you see anything "meaningful"...

Problem is, DOS 7.0 is not DOS, that's Windows 9x (DOS 7.0 has a variety of extended APIs for better interoperability with Win9x).
So even if it would work, it'd still only work from Windows. Not from any real DOS, and probably not from any DOS environment other than DOS 7.0 either (any of the DOS clones, such as DR-DOS, ROMDOS, Dosbox etc, and possibly not even the NTVDM).
Posted on 2012-04-29 04:59:02 by Scali
If I remember correctly, there is a file creation hook we can monitor since the old days, maybe its in kernel32.
Posted on 2012-04-30 04:27:29 by Homer