The program is NEARLY finished but i want to see if any of you can suggest methods of making it more efficient or maybe just alternate ways of doing the same thing. I dont care how. I just want to see what I can learn from your "tricks".

Finally was admitted to the site so this is my first post! But ive learned so much from this site, ive been stalking posts for some time :)

If you have any questions check the commenting. I was trying to be as clear and precise as possible, so i could explain to my understudied partner what i was doing.
Attachments:
Posted on 2012-06-19 19:41:56 by bgjnat56
here is the finalized code still not very efficient.
Attachments:
Posted on 2012-06-20 11:38:22 by bgjnat56
When you decide to optimize some code, you have to decide if you want speed, or size, because you can't have both.... they are competing paradigms. You can choose opcodes with the smallest encodings for a smaller binary, or you can choose longer encodings which you know execute faster (on some particular hardware). Trying to get the best of both worlds is usually a bad idea that gains you nothing.
Posted on 2012-06-21 00:50:27 by Homer
Aah the legendary Homer! Thanks for the input, I was aspiring for shorter code length. I think I have found a way to do this though. So I'm going to try and eliminate some length especially in the main function. (going to use register dx to store offsets in memory and load them into functions). Good idea? better idea?

well aren't macro's kind of best of both worlds? They are faster than proc's you save lines writing codes too..... But i am just starting out so i may be missing something.
Posted on 2012-06-21 17:19:48 by bgjnat56
The potential downside of macros is that the code is duplicated for every instance.
So a proc might result in considerably smaller code.
Posted on 2012-06-22 09:23:22 by Scali
I see... thanks everyone for the input.
Posted on 2012-06-26 11:56:37 by bgjnat56
1. The instructions
xor ax,ax
xor dx,dx
at the begin of program are useful and may be deleted
        mov ah, 07          ;PARAMETERS TO CLEAR SCREEN
        mov al, 0
may be replaced by "mov ax,700h"

mov dh, 24
        mov dl, 79