I know that this is a lot of work, but the hardest part I have found is the lack of information.  I want to make a network boot loader of sorts.  I am writing the initial PXE boot file and would like to be able to pull the rest of some OS in through FTP.  I am writing in NASM and have no idea how to even access the network card.  I am so new to assembly so maybe I should wait to try this.  However, I have always learned programming through the tears of being in over my head and figuring it out.
There are boot files already programmed like pxelinux.0 designed to pull the files off the initial TFTP connection.  I think that if I can get even that far I would be in great shape.  I would bring up reverse engineering, but I will leave that to you if you feel it acceptable.
I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of well documented way to preform network operations on the OS level or even the commented pxelinux.0 assembly source to learn from.
Posted on 2012-06-26 19:09:49 by Quantum
Start searching/reading the OSDev.org Wiki and Forums.

Protip: If you haven't found your answer there, you haven't searched enough.
Posted on 2012-06-26 23:57:12 by SpooK
Actually, network booting is something I know nothing about - I know the wakeup packet and thats about it. I would love to see you post progress reports!
Posted on 2012-06-27 10:34:10 by Homer