Hi there,

I recently wondered about how useful it would be to be able to be to split an editor screen vertically to show code in the left pane and comments in the right. The novel bit is that the comments would wrap and hence flow faster than the code, with the comment for the current line of assembly scrolling into view and possibly being highlighted. Your code would simply contain (possibly very long) single-line, end-of-line comments. An enhancement would be to use escape characters to put in pseudo line-breaks, for example (or numbered lists or wiki text, etc). The problem which I'm trying to solve here is having to format multi-line comments myself and the trade-off between comprehensive comments and distance between lines of assembly. 

This image of a diff viewer show roughly how I imagine a line on the left to be connected to an expanded comment on the right.

So, to the question: does anyone know whether there exist plugins for editors which do this already? Alternatively, and before I refer myself to the vim forums, does anyone know how hard it would be to do something like this in vim?

Regards

Michael
Posted on 2012-07-27 09:00:26 by michaelg
Although not exactly what you want, definitely have a look at WinMerge.
It's a 'diffing' program designed to graphically display differences between two versions of sourcecode, so you can figure out what the hell went wrong, since your last working version, or something like that.
Posted on 2012-07-28 00:02:16 by Homer
Thanks for your reply, Homer, but please read the first paragraph of the OP.
Posted on 2012-07-28 17:50:26 by michaelg
Yeah, I realize its totally not what you want to achieve, but the GUI control they've developed is right on track.
That's what I was pointing you toward, because I believe the app is open sourced.
I'd be happy to help develop this kind of component in asm, if we were to work in ObjAsm..
Posted on 2012-07-31 01:08:47 by Homer
Ah, I see...! Thanks for the pointer, I may have a look at it. Thanks also for the offer of some help - although as a total stranger to ObjAsm it could be a very steep learning curve!

Michael
Posted on 2012-07-31 06:04:30 by michaelg
Just thought I'd add that I've added the question to the Vim Users' group. No replies as yet :(

Posted on 2012-07-31 14:29:33 by michaelg