I'm still pretty new to the whole win32asm scene and i'm still deciding on an assembler to use. MASM seems to have more documentation for win32 stuff, but i am learning assembly in linux as well and i use NASM, so it would be nice to use that since i would only have to learn the eccentricities of one assembler. i have found a few tutorials on using NASM to write win32 code, but the only linker i found references to was ALINK and the author's page is no longer up and i cannot find it anywhere else. Are there any other linkers i can use with NASM that will produce win32 executables? Other suggestions for assemblers also welcome.
Posted on 2002-01-24 10:01:11 by vikato
Dude, alink homepage moved to sourceforge...

I also recommend you to use NASM, since you're used to its syntax...

Good bye.
Posted on 2002-01-24 10:12:51 by JCP
Thank you very much! That's odd, i could have sworn i searched sourceforge :o .
Posted on 2002-01-24 10:15:50 by vikato
Check this thread to see what we prefer.
Posted on 2002-01-24 13:46:41 by CodeLover
vikato,

NASM is a good tool for working in LINUX but it is a bit short of power writing complete Windows code, it basically does not have enough facilities to handle things like stack automation and other similar coding conveniences.

You can get used to the notation difference in the addressing modes, use NASM for linux and MASM for win32.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-01-24 15:13:05 by hutch--
With a few macros, nasm does stdcall/c/pascal calling just about as
easy as masm invoke. Parms and locals can also be made easy to use.
I still prefer to use masm when I don't *need* nasm, though.
But if nasm knew about variable size (so you didn't NEED the size
overrides all the time), and had a proper struct implementation...
I'd probably be using nasm for all my stuff.
Posted on 2002-01-24 16:35:04 by f0dder
Thanks for all the replies guys! You've really cleared up a lot of my questions. i think for now i will use MASM and then play around a with NASM once i get the hang of win32asm.
Posted on 2002-01-24 21:15:50 by vikato