I am interested in learning about network programming, sockets, Tcp/IP, etc.

I have no experience at all with networks, protocols, or anything

anyone suggest any good books/tutorials that can help me in setting up my own message client/server app and other network stuff
thanx
Posted on 2002-01-28 19:04:55 by Rockinronstar
I would suggest doing some searches on google for the OSI and DOD reference models to brush up on general network layering. I have found that some good books on networking are those cert. books like the CNE kind of stuff. They have a book on TCP/IP as an elective that is good. Iczelion's tut on network programming is good also. There are some wierd things like network-byte ordering that you will run into with IP. IPX is a much simpler protocol and you can get good info on it from Novells developernet website. Also surf the the linux doc websites for source code to network tools like ping and net-tools and the like. Sorry about the length of this post. Hope this helps.
Posted on 2002-01-28 23:18:11 by rdaneel
I've been learning by looking at other peoples code and reading MSDN Send, socket, listen, WSAStartup etc It has been really helpful :)
Posted on 2002-01-28 23:47:58 by prana
The Networking section of the forum may be useful... :rolleyes:
Posted on 2002-01-29 01:01:19 by JCP
Posted on 2002-01-29 02:16:41 by Test Department
I think I will hang out at Chapters tomorrow and see what I scrape up in the way of Networking books. Found some newbie tuts on the net as well.

What I want to accomplish is to be able to write a messaging client/server like MSN messenger or ICQ. Need to find the right direction to focus my learning to be able to this.

I would prefer to do it the "hard way". using as low level as I can so that I can fully understand the inner workings of networking. I see some libraries out there to simplify things, but I'll save those for when I know how they work
Posted on 2002-01-29 18:38:47 by Rockinronstar