I've just started a class in Assembley and we're using MASM with VC++. My professor told us to install Visual Studio 6.0 (which I did) and then download Service Pack 5 and Processor Pack 5 (which I did). Anyway, when I downloaded the code files I used at school and tried them out I got the error below.

Performing Custom Build Step on .\patfile.asm
The system cannot find the path specified.
Error executing c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

patfile.obj - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Note that CMD.EXE does exist in windows\system32 (when I changed CMD.EXE to cmd.exe I still got the same error).

Does any know what this error means? And how I would fix it?

later
Posted on 2002-02-05 09:45:33 by PAT or JK
Are you running NT4/Win2k/XP? They would use cmd.exe as it is there dos prompt emulator...

It looks as though the custom build rules are wrong for your system (either OS, or pathing of some executable). It would help if we had a little more info on your system, and the settings you have for the build rules.

Mirno
Posted on 2002-02-05 11:02:17 by Mirno
I'm using Win2k and here's what I put in for the Project Setting of "patfile.asm":

Commands:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Bin\ml.exe /c /coff /Cx $(InputPath)

Outputs:
patfile.obj

I didn't type in "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" anywhere though. I'm also don't remember setting any custom build rules (or where they can be set). Also, I'm using VC++ 6.0 Professional Edition.

later
Posted on 2002-02-05 15:19:07 by PAT or JK
I was having the same problem earlier in the week. It was part of the custom build settings i had. Go to the File View tab in VC++ and right click on your asm file, go to settings. Select the custom build tab and in the drop down list choose all configurations.
For my application, i had a console app in C with an assembly procedure in a separate file. Here's what i had for the settings:

Commands:
ml.exe -c -coff -Cx -Fo$(IntDir)\$(InputName).obj (InputName).asm

Outputs:
$(IntDir)\$(InputName).obj

If you installed the processor pack, then you shouldn't have to supply the path to ml.exe.

HTH,
malone
Posted on 2002-02-05 22:25:30 by malone
Pat or JK,
it is possible that your professor got it wrong.... check this link, i posted the (simple) steps required to set up the VC environment for coding and compiling in asm, and this setup works :)
Posted on 2002-02-06 04:01:18 by sluggy
Works now, thanks guys.

later
Posted on 2002-02-06 09:29:08 by PAT or JK