I've been going through Iczelion's tutorials but am still quite new to assembler. I was wondering if you can make something like objects with assembler and how you would go about it. For instance, if I wanted to make my own buttons or frames, each with their own characteristics.

Thanks!
Posted on 2002-02-09 17:30:32 by Miko
Hey I dunno if this is exactly what you're searching for as I (have barely) experience with objects and classes... but NaN wrote an Object Creator... Check it out on his page at nan32asm.cjb.net

Personally.. (for frames I dunno but for Buttons) I would just create a button and set up a separate wndproc for Button's using SetWindowLong. Guess would be a lot more work tho...
Posted on 2002-02-09 18:22:29 by JimmyClif
Miko,

Glad to see another new Ontarian on the board :) As JimmyClif was getting at, Thomas and myself developed one solution to achieving class structures for MASM 32 at the assembly level. A word of warning, this work was our own brainstorming, and i dont really know how close (if at all) it would be to the *mechanics* of how C++ or Java organizes their classes and instances in memory. So if your intersted in checking out our model to interface directly with higher level object models (like C++), im fairly sure you will run into some trouble.

Its purpose was not this, but rather for assembly programmers to (in some cases) find better organization for their coding structure. Case in point, Thomas tells me since his involvement he has been able to carry his networking projects light-years further.

That being said, i think i can also address your questions better:
I've been going through Iczelion's tutorials but am still quite new to assembler.

I really encourage you to eventually check out our work, but this is *not* beginner level material. The macro's we developed are pretty intense in some areas. ( You dont *need* to understand how they work, but its recomended ).

I was wondering if you can make something like objects with assembler and how you would go about it. For instance, if I wanted to make my own buttons or frames, each with their own characteristics

Quite possible, but first you need to know the API structure of windows to "create" the buttom. Frames is more of a Java idea. You can achieve the same effect from other window API's however. A user on this board (SmallWaves) has reciently written a "button" class with some unique properties. As im sure your aware since its a class in asm, he can re-use this class in future projects with minimal effort. Im expanding the page (probabaly next week) to include a "class" directory, where i will post SmallWave's work (he has already ok'd it with me). If you do get into asm objects with masm, i would also be happy to do the same for any classes you develop :)

My website has a small variety of example sources and thier classes that are involved. As well there is a creator tool to get the ball rolling, and a OOP->HTML tool that will parse your source for class info and make a HTML reference for your classes (their is a Java version with the same idea.. forget the name tho). You can readily do Inheritance, Polymorphism, Overriding, and to a lesser extent, Interfaces with our model. This should be enough to handly you project needs.

Last thought, this model is still a "beta" version, as we are still developing a better set of tools and implementations. But its fairly sure that the model wont change too much from what we have posted on our web pages.

If you do get into our work, feel free to ask quetions (but take it to the COM section) and i will be happy to help you out :)

Good Luck..
:alright:
NaN
Posted on 2002-02-10 00:55:34 by NaN