Is there any reason I can't adapt hutch's Quick Editor ide to work with Borland Turbo C (museum piece dating from circa 1989, which I recently downloaded from Borland's site). Turbo C comes with a really, really clunky (dos) ide. It doesn't even let me use my track ball (my mouse walked off the edge of my desk one last time, a long time ago, and I haven't seen it since). But the c compiler itself seems just the thing to begin learning C on.

By the way I am learning C from the Coronado tutorials, available for free via the web, and I'm not having any difficulty so far, even though the Coronado tutorials have lots of murky language. When I don't understand something, I look it up in the on-line help file that comes with Turbo C -- which seems clear and consise so far.

C seems a lot like BASIC, to me, so far. There are many similar syntactical constructions, and words which are shorter than the corresponding words in BASIC (or there are punctuation marks that serve as words), but which are completely synonymous. Though C looks more like Perl, the syntax, it seems, is actually closer to BASIC. It doesn't seem as nearly as difficult for me to learn, so far, as Perl was.
Posted on 2002-02-11 02:43:41 by verb
Hi!

Yes, you can use QEditor with Turbo C... just add some "compile with Turbo C" items to the Menu (with the Menu Editor) and add the correct command line arguments.

But IMO you shouldn't use QEditor, because there are a lot free and awesome Editors avaible! I use ConTEXT ( http://www.fixedsys.com/context ) for every language I use -> MASM, C/C++, PowerBASIC, JAVA, WML, HTML and JSP. You can find a MASM syntax highlighter here on the forum... just search for my name and "context" in the IDE forum.
Here's a little feature list of ConTEXT (from the page above):

ConTEXT is a small, fast and powerful text editor, developed mainly to serve as secondary tool for software developers. After years and years searching for suitable Windows text editor, I haven't found any of them to completely satisfy my needs, so I wrote my own.

This editor is freeware. Anyway, I'd like to hear your comments and suggestions, to discuss about it and implement it in future versions.

Features

unlimited open files
unlimited editing file size, 4kB line length
powerful syntax highlighting for:
C/C++
Delphi/Pascal
Java
Java Script
Visual Basic
Perl/CGI
HTML
SQL
FoxPro
80x86 assembler
Python
PHP
Tcl/Tk
powerful custom defined syntax highlighter
multilanguage support (supported languages: English, German, French, Croatian, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Spanish, Galego, Italian, Hungarian, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Slovakian, Polish, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Turkish)
project workspaces support
unicode UTF8 support
code templates
customizable help files for each file type
file explorer with favorites list
export to HTML/RTF
conversion DOS->UNIX->Macintosh file formats
editing position remembering across files
macro recorder
commenting/uncommenting code
text sort
normal and columnar text selection
bookmarks
find and replace text in all open files
C/Java-style block auto indent/outdent
customizable color printing with print preview
exporting configuration stored in registry
customizable syntax highlighting colors, cursor shapes, right margin, gutter, line spacing...
user definable execution keys, depending on file type
capturing console applications standard output
compiler output parser for positioning on error line
powerful command line handler
install and uninstall
minimize to system tray
it's FREE!
Planned features for v1.0

hex editor
plug-in architecture for external tools
enhancing macro recorder features and macro script language
code browser for C/C++, Delphi and Visual Basic projects
hard tabs support
paragraphs and real word wrapping
more powerful custom highlighter definition language
file compare
regular expressions in find/replace dialogs
other misc. tools
Posted on 2002-02-11 03:07:31 by bazik
ConTEXT is a very good editor, indeed...
Posted on 2002-02-11 03:18:00 by JCP
Hmm. Well, I downloaded context and installed it, and it looks very versatile, with its automatic highlighting of different kinds of text for different kinds of scripts -- but I can't figure out how to set it up for any particular compiler.

I've gathered, I think, that one goes to Options > Envirnoment Options and then selects the Execute tab, to do this, but then nothing in that window makes much sense to me. And I can't find anything about it in the Help section. There is some info in the html FAQ file, about how to set up some compilers with Context, but I can't make out how it relates to setting up Context to work with Borland Turbo C.

I figure the time I'd have to spend figuring out how to make Context work with Turbo C, would be more than the time I would save by using Context instead of the clunky ide that comes with Turbo C.

I saw how to set up Turbo C with Quick editor, right away, by the way. Though indeed Context looks more versatile than Quick editor.

I also can't figure out how to set up Context to use a proportional type face for the editing screen. It seems to only support mono-spaced type faces -- which are much harder on my eyes.
Posted on 2002-02-11 05:34:25 by verb
I was also a ConText user for maybe 6 months until I found Code-Genie a couple of weeks back. The main reason for the shift was Code-Genie's KeywordSuffix feature, where every word suffixed with a certain character is hilighted. In my case I used '(' and every C/C++ function (works in other C-like dialects too of course) is hilighted. Apart from that, everything else is similar to ConText. And oh, some people may not like the fact that all syntax coloring settings are done directly with the settings text files (i.e, no dialog box for setting syntax colors like other editors)

verb, i wonder why you're using Turbo C. Borland's C++ 5.5 is also free, and I was able to set it up perfectly with ConText before. (Right now I'm using MinGW with Code-Genie but no luck with the Editor-Compiler integration yet :( but using makefiles is kinda cool too, depending on how you look at it, so i use them)

(my mouse walked off the edge of my desk one last time, a long time ago, and I haven't seen it since).

LoL. I'm sorry for your mouse. Maybe he's off to see Speedy :grin:

.pix
Posted on 2002-02-11 06:24:57 by pixelwise
pixelwise writes
-------------------------------------------
And oh, some people may not like the fact that all syntax coloring settings are done directly with the settings text files (i.e, no dialog box for setting syntax colors like other editors)
----------------------------------

He,he,he -- I often prefer just calling up a set of instructions and editing it, to having a "dialogue" with a non-living thing. It wasn't so long ago that if we saw an adult having a dialogue with a non-living thing, we generally assumed he or she was the unfortunate victim of a neurological disorder, rather than a computer user!

----------------
i wonder why you're using Turbo C. Borland's C++ 5.5 is also free, and I was able to set it up perfectly with ConText before
-------------------------

Well, I'm just beginning to learn C. Turbo C, which was only a 1 MB download, had a reputation, in its time, for being very complete and effective. I didn't want lots of distractions from the task of learning the rudiments of C, and I knew Turbo C doesn't contain a C++ compiler, which I don't want to start with until I've gotten a good general grasp of C.

I had read that Turbo C came with a simple integrated IDE and good on-line help -- so I thought this might enable me to devote time to learning the language without being distracted a multitude of features in a "does-everything" whiz-bang IDE, which of course I would tend to waste time exploring; but at the same time I thought the IDE might be adequate to save me some keying-in time. Little did I know that the IDE didn't support a screen pointing-device, and was generally clunky and slow to use -- though I do find it to be well thought-out, easy to understand, and well-documented -- things I value more than full-featured-ness, or speed, especially at this stage of the game, where I am just learning. You don't have to hunt through the on-line help file for documentation; you can get immediate meaningful "context-sensitive help" from wherever you are in the menu system.

Unfortunately the ide seems really, really clunky as a text editor, and is turning out to be time-wasting. Blocking text requires ctrl-k B, ctrl-k k, moving it requires ctrl-k v, and then getting rid of the highlight on the moved text requires ctrl-k h !!!! The ide loads only 1 script at a time. The on-line help is in a tiny box of fixed size. I figure there ought to be something better in this age of screen pointing devices, True-Type, and sizable Windows.

I'm downloading code genie now. I'm using Win 95 on station 1 here, and the web site says Coe Genie requires Win98/ME/XP/2k, so I'll want to wait till my copy of Win2000 arrives in the mail and I install it on station 2, and check it out, before I install code genie. I don't expect everything to work right away, after installing new operating sys.
Posted on 2002-02-11 11:05:11 by verb
Update:

've been editing my pgms in ConText -- I like the comment-uncomment code feature.

I finally figured out how to set it up to work with turbo c, however it was adding extra characters to the captured- output from executed programs, and skipping lines. And while it captured and properly displayed warning and error messages output by the turbo c compiler, it didn't, of course, highlight the error in the script, that went with each error message, like borland's integrated ide did.

So what i've been doing is "shell execute" which transfers the script to borland's ide, and then i compile it from borland's ide. If the borland ide flags an error, I go back to ConText to work on the script -- though if i edit it in the borland ide ConText will know about it and prompt to update the displayed script -- neat.

I'm finding it easier to use the mouse to block and edit and copy and paste, than lots of keypresses -- even though I'm an 80 word-per-minute keyer, or was, in my youth.
Posted on 2002-02-15 09:17:49 by verb