hello fellow asm programmers! :)

my first language was assembly for 6502. i do x86 and like writing very tiny programs: must be a carry over from those 8k RAM atari days.

i program using assembly (MASM32), c/c++ (VC++, BCB), and BASIC (PowerBASIC: compiler BASIC, inline asm capable). i do mostly win api (as opposed to mfc). i have extensive knowledge of yahoo's chat protocol (sniffed) and client creation.

i enjoy discussing and comparing languages (asm, c, c++, java, BASIC) and ISA's (x86, EPIC).

i want to thank hutch for masm32, and iczelion for the tutorials... well done guys! :alright:

dr phil :grin:

ps what is the process for obtaining an avatar?
Posted on 2001-08-13 17:48:38 by phil
Whats up?

Been viewing this forum for a while, at least before the system was changed. Never bothered to join until this morning.
Just think of me as your secret admirer :)

I like to tinker with ASM in specific the TASM assembler. I program mainly in java and c++ however have had no problem reading and converting every other languge I have come across except perl. I completed an analisis of VisualStudio.net a couple months ago. I have also made it my buisness to get involved the LINUX OS for fun. Also, I am still one of those little high school punks.

I think that just about does it for introductions,
Thank you and good night,
T
Posted on 2001-08-19 23:14:41 by -T-
Hi all,

I've discovered recently the Win32 asm and I think it is cool.
But like every(?) newbie I have trouble with the errors message from link editor.
Yerstaday I want to recompile the code from Space-Tris writed by Chris Hobbs (found on www.gamedev.net) but it is not work. The link editor inform me that was some problem with some callings. The question is: what should I do in this case, where do I find help whith the link editor error message?

Many thanks.

P.S. Please escuse my writing, I've learned english from computer help and Internet.
Posted on 2001-08-20 08:08:52 by scarpelius
BTW, how you guys put the image in the Author column?
I can't figure it.
Posted on 2001-08-20 08:51:33 by scarpelius
scarpelius, click on 'user cp' at the top of page, then click on 'edit options', scroll down to the bottom and click on 'more info' under'avatars',
Mel:)
Posted on 2001-08-20 13:16:51 by Mel
Just wanted to say hello, i just downloaded MASM32 and im about to install it now:alright: , so im not even a newbie yet:grin:

thanks in advance for all the good answears on all the stupid questions im going to ask:tongue:
Posted on 2001-08-20 15:55:39 by [Load Runner]
ok Im fairly new to all this. Im slowly starting to understand how the code works..but there are a lot more things I dont understand. Like how ASM can call C++ API functions and stuff like that, and how to convert C++ code into ASM. I think a newbie forum is necessary because I dont really understand what you are all talking about, and you make it seem like its so easy.. not unfriendly, but I think that a lot of us here are not ASM gods, so we need some help to get to your level. Maybe a few basic MASM32 tutorials and some info about the syntax and proper usage.. Id like to know what all these eax's and registers are all about but Im having trouble finding any EASY TO UNDERSTAND information geared towards someone like me who doesnt already know ASM..
Posted on 2001-08-22 12:18:58 by closed_casket
Ah, so this is what this thread is for.

This is probably my third attempt to try and learn x86 assembly, but everything is going much smoother now. I'm glad to see here people that aren't quick to judge and criticize, even the most simple questions. Thanks to everyone that has taken time to try and answer the questions I have had so far, you've been extremely helpful so far.

I'm addicted to computers. I am fairly experienced in Visual Basic, semi-experienced in perl, and know a bit of other languages such as C++, Pascal.
Posted on 2001-08-22 12:42:37 by vcv
closed_casket, you will want to look at iczelion's excellent tutorials.
www.win32asm.com - go there.
Posted on 2001-08-22 12:44:31 by f0dder
I'd actually suggest reading the tutorial at http://exagone.cjb.net/ first, then going on to iczelion's tutorials, for someone to who doesn't know assembly.
Posted on 2001-08-22 12:57:28 by vcv
I have read ICZELLION tutorials for WIN32 ASM.

And I cannot think of any projects that i can do with my little experience i have with MASM

Can anyone tell me of some projects for beginners of WIN32 ASM can make and get experience from.

:confused:
Posted on 2001-08-24 01:39:09 by kenalex
If you are interesed I want to start a game project. I'm a newbie too in programming with Win32 asm, but I think this will be a good oportunity to learn it.
Are you interested?

Scarpelius
Posted on 2001-08-24 03:16:48 by scarpelius
Hi everyone, thanx for the links they help a lot.

I really want to learn game programming, and Id like to stick to pure MASM code if possible, since I dont understand C or C++ much (compiling it anyway).

I have lots of demos and etc for basic OpenGL and some DX8 (thanx scronty!) but I want to get deeper into it. I found some more advanced OpenGL demos but they are all in C or C++ code and although I know its possible, I dont know how to go about translating them to MASM. Im talking about nehe stuff like loading quake models and doing reflections and stuff, not just a spinning rainbow triangle ;) those are great tutorials but the more advanced ones arent translated to MASM so they are useless to me right now.. there seems to be a lack of info about MASM online, everything I see is for C or C++.. I was trying to find a converter to convert C code to MASM and all I could find was the complete opposite.
Posted on 2001-08-29 16:51:47 by closed_casket
Hi all, I'm getting back into assembly. I first started with a big blue 6502 book my father brought home, typed in op-codes and operands into the atari 800 I had.. lo and behold it worked! (When I peeked at the registers, using atari basic to make the USR calls)

Also programmed one of those microprocessor kits from Heath in my college electronics class to play music as a project, that was fun =) Course the coding part was the easiest hehe a simple loop to play the data. Keying the data was the hardest.

Also did some TRS80 color computer 3 assembly after scrimping and saving for a book. Then onto the PC using C and some light assembler. Those were the days.
Posted on 2001-08-31 18:48:38 by drarem
I had so much fun programming on the 68HC11 Motorolla processor! lol 8bit baby!
Posted on 2001-08-31 23:32:41 by Kenny
hehe, yaaaaaa... That was my second stab at assembly myself.. nothing like an evaluation board to inspire posibilities.. I hacked some asm on the Commie 64 before that, and now im totally commited ( or should be :P ) to masm32... )

NaN
Posted on 2001-09-02 00:13:00 by NaN
bitte einen weiter unten nachschaun :rolleyes:
:stupid:
Posted on 2001-09-04 05:04:38 by Wolf_HFS
Hallo.

Warum benutzt man (in den Tutorial, die ich zumindest bis jetzt gelesen hab) immer "xor eax,eax" anstatt "mov eax,0"?
Ist ein xor schneller? Und wenn ja, warum?
Oder ist das einfach nur so ein Programmierstill?

tnx Wolf
:stupid:
Posted on 2001-09-04 05:04:50 by Wolf_HFS
Forgive me, I can't speak german.

The reason why we xor eax, eax instead of mov eax, 0 is because xor can be paired better than mov. xor is also a smaller instruction. I think xor is only 4 bytes and mov will be 8 (or is it 10?).

The way xor works is like this:
0 xor 0 = 0
1 xor 0 = 1
0 xor 1 = 1
1 xor 1 = 0

I learned my truth tables in EET but I will write them out for you.

and:
0 and 0 = 0
1 and 0 = 0
0 and 1 = 0
1 and 1 = 1

or:
0 or 0 = 0
1 or 0 = 1
0 or 1 = 1
1 or 1 = 1

xor:
0 xor 0 = 0
1 xor 0 = 1
0 xor 1 = 1
1 xor 1 = 0

not:
0 not = 1
1 not = 0

nand: (not and)
0 and 0 = 1
1 and 0 = 1
0 and 1 = 1
1 and 1 = 0

nor: (not or)
0 or 0 = 1
1 or 0 = 0
0 or 1 = 0
1 or 1 = 0

xnor: (not xor)
0 xnor 0 = 1
1 xnor 0 = 0
0 xnor 1 = 0
1 xnor 1 = 1

As you can see, there isn't a single combo that isn't covered, so for all practical purposes you can represent ANY logial "thought" with code :)
Posted on 2001-09-04 05:13:55 by Kenny
K. Tnx for that fast answer.
And sorry for my poor german. ;-)

So i got it. xor is smaller then mov.

tnx again Wolf
Posted on 2001-09-04 05:20:48 by Wolf_HFS