For those interested, I have posted v0.4 of my "bin2o" program at
http://f0dder.has.it - look in the tools section. It replaces the need
to use bin2hex programs which cause slow assembly with large data -
bin2o creates a linkable coff object directly.
Posted on 2002-02-19 08:30:43 by f0dder
very nice... will use it for sure... can you make a gui for it?

(besides, gui is kind of lame for this type of stuff but i'm so
damn lazy :) )
Posted on 2002-02-19 09:45:23 by mob
code a frontend for it... ;)
Posted on 2002-02-19 09:54:08 by JCP
was this directed to me? if that's the case...
narg, i'm rather learning the coff format for
myself (i never got in touch with it till now...)

uhm, i WOULD rather learn it but as i said
i'm lazy (and busy) so a very simple gui
wouldn't be so bad :)
Posted on 2002-02-19 09:58:41 by mob
Very nice work f0dder

really good indeed.

What about improving this tool in order to create obj files from exe or dll files ?

On that way it could be easier to make a masm program bypass the default order of the sections while linking them.

Btw, as i said in another post, i?ll watch for the gnu ld linker
Posted on 2002-02-19 11:05:59 by Beyond2000!
I only encapsulate data... to convert exe/dll to re-linkable obj requires
a fair deal more work ;). There's a commercial app that can convert
DLLs to .lib btw, called (gasp!) dll2lib.
Posted on 2002-02-19 11:13:09 by f0dder
I know dll2lib

i used it already, i post before about it (Newinclude files) and other about fixing corrupted libraries.

I used dll2lib to create an obj file trhough exe, but the import section was all corrupted, and i needed to fix it.

The problem ws, this files has more than 300 imports, and amny other calls, and only Idapro open the corrupted library (Ollydbg couldn?t do it).

That?s why i tryed to solve the issue with another approach, ie, creating a new functional program with masm (now in fasm).

When i come home i?ll try to create the resources on this app (with fasm), and see if it really working (if not, i?ll try to link with Gnu ld).

If i only could rebuild it on fasm, i have to convert it do dll in order to proper made a library file with dll2lib (maybe it work with the executable, but i?ll check after i code the resource section)

I need a functional library for this app.

As i said before i am analysing the architecture of a specifi program in order to create another one in masm, but with improved functions, and in open source.

I guess i?m on the right step to rebuild it completelly.

I?ll see it later at home.

regards
Posted on 2002-02-19 14:24:36 by Beyond2000!
implib!!! :)

nice util! btw!
Posted on 2002-02-19 14:27:35 by stryker
Just be careful, beyond2k... sounds like this is one of those gray
areas.
Posted on 2002-02-19 14:31:35 by f0dder
Nice toy f0dder and a conceptually a good idea but how about a few useful things like storing the length of the encapsulated data so it can be accessed at runtime.

Also the documentation would have to be classed as slightly short of useful. Instead of the le3t0 w4nN4b3e bullshit section, how about documenting it so more people can use it.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-19 15:05:16 by hutch--

Nice toy f0dder and a conceptually a good idea but how about a few useful things like storing the length of the encapsulated data so it can be accessed at runtime.

It's in the todo list. Useful feature, but I get around it quite fine at
the moment.

Also the documentation would have to be classed as slightly short of useful. Instead of the le3t0 w4nN4b3e bullshit section, how about documenting it so more people can use it.

This toy was not written for kiddies. It shows how to invoke the
tool and how to set up the "extern" declaration... I don't assume
people with a need for this tool needs a step-by-step guide written
in neon letters. And if you're offended by the "for dummies", you
have no sense of humour.
Posted on 2002-02-19 15:17:12 by f0dder
f0dder

did you receive my message ?
Posted on 2002-02-19 15:32:51 by Beyond2000!
f0dder,

Here is a quick sample of my suggestion for the output form of your toy.

Store both the data and the length of the data so that it can be accessed at runtime programmatically.

This quick demo was created in the utility in MASM32, BIN2DB.EXE, converted to an asm file, has a procedure added to return the length of the stored data and the source data is stored in a seperate proc.

The exe file shows how to access the stored data after getting its length from the module and write it to disk.

If you code the utility to handle both the data and length, it will be far more usable to many more people. Output the OBJ file, optionally a library containing the module and both prototypes so it can be used in the normal manner.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-19 19:36:17 by hutch--

If you code the utility to handle both the data and length, it will be far more usable to many more people.

I know I know. It *is* in the todo list :). I have other more important
projects at the moment, though.
Posted on 2002-02-20 06:56:06 by f0dder