Hi there,

I am interested in 2d game engines and its developement.

Before anyone comes and says "Chriss Hobbs" - yes, I already have the Spacetris stuff on my Desktop.

Anyways, I would like to know of any 2d game engine in GDI or DD.

If anyone knows of any good tuts or books one can recommend me, I would be very happy to hear from you.

YaWNS aka Stefan K.

P.S. The stuff from Gametutorials I have, too.
Posted on 2002-02-23 08:35:37 by YaWNS
YaWNS,

Why not just Jump to 3D, there's much more being done there?

B :)
Posted on 2002-02-23 11:58:50 by Brad
Why not just Jump to 3D, there's much more being done there?

Maybe you are right with that, but I say NO!

See, if you look at all these new games which come up every month, where did the programmers hide the fun to play these games.

I wont go that far and say that ALL new games are rubbish, but in my opinion the big majority of games is not worth the cd it is on. These "new" FirstPerson Shooters which all try to immitate Quake and HalfLife, this is not really my interest of games.

Do you remember old computers (not consoles) like Atari ST, Amiga 500 or even C-64? There were alot of games which hat a dozen time more fun in it then recent games.

What kind of Engine I am after is a engine like in Bubble Bobble, Bombjack, etc.. If necessary I can post some screen shots.

These engines don't need any Screen Scrolling (like the ...errm.. how was its name...looks like R-TYPE... by one of this forum) nor any other fancy stuff.

The levels can be based on a grid which just says there is a wall and here it is not :grin:

I would really like to know of any good book or tutorial on this stuff.

YaWNS aka Stefan K.
Posted on 2002-02-23 16:31:08 by YaWNS
Hi all,

Right YaWNS,

Old games just 16 color (some 4 color like cga) but very nice. I started computer with MSX system and, all programs and games loaded from tape cassette ( no diskette, cd big dream :) ) After i found some emulators and games archives from internet and sometimes i'm looking nostalgia games...

i found a games development library from:

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

multiplatform, free and many functional. support 3d and 2d.

have nice days,
Posted on 2002-02-23 21:18:59 by CYDONIA
I dont found like this games currently :)
:grin:
Posted on 2002-02-23 21:24:05 by CYDONIA
Come on man :)

You know HE has a 2D based engine, so ask us/me an i will sure try to hekp you, of course not with code as i have very little time...

Bogdan
Posted on 2002-02-26 16:56:50 by BogdanOntanu
Yes for sure Bogdan, I know that HE has a 2D Engine, and that your engine is pretty fast.

of course not with code as i have very little time...

Nope, I know that you only have a very small amount of time, and I don't look for a specific code (well, who wants to get the complete source anyway, just edit the name and the author and present it as your own engine??) BUT I am looking for Books and Tuts.

Many of you know I am German so I mainly focus on German Books, but my English (especially reading) is not bad at all (finished my English Classes in school some time ago with 2nd highest grade) so I am also looking for english books.

I searched Amazon.DE and I looked at GAMEDEV.NET for recommended Books but there are too much, so I don't know which to choose.

I am willing to learn and do stuff on my own, but I need Information to start with.

I recently downloaded some tuts called Game Programming Genesis but at least the ones I've read they are more about the Windows stuff like Iczs first tuts.

I've also already read Spacetris by Chriss Hobbs and I've once written some code for a small game, which I never ended, cause several things didn't work I didn't know how to do it and I didn't have much time for it. Bogdan, you've already had that code, remember? The problem with the code is that something was about my main Game Loop and that there were some probs with the GDI Stuff, as the blitted pictures disappeared after some time (Buffer Probs?)

Well, looking forward to any replies and to April 2002, then I start going to school again becoming a Software Developer

YaWNS aka Stefan K.
Posted on 2002-02-27 05:35:37 by YaWNS