I want to code a point of sale package in windows assembly. I know it would be much easier in Visual Basic or Delphi or what ever but this is my way of relaxing, doing stuff in assembler.

I want to code the following grid:

Above here is customer info
customer name and etc

Item no Description Amt Subtotal Total
data line1
data line 2
dataline 3
dataline4

Then there are 3 to 4 lines of data to view. If more data is entered then it scrolls up.

Below here to the right or whatever is subtotal, sales tax and total of invoice.

My question is after reading and searching all of the info I could find, I am guessing that you would just put the appropriate number of edit boxes on the dialog box and just manipulate the info in the edit boxes how one needed too.

Does memory mapped files come into play here.

All I am asking for is a point in the right direction. I will do the code. I am just saying if anyone understands what I am saying above, is there an easier way to do the above or am I on the right track

Thanks
cookj
Posted on 2002-02-27 21:08:29 by cookj
If i were you, i would use an ActiveX grid control and incorporate that into your app. You'll need COM to do it, Ernie provides lots of source on how to accomplish this.
Posted on 2002-02-27 21:12:40 by Asm_Freak
Thanks for the quick reply

I never thought of Active X.

cookj
Posted on 2002-02-27 21:15:35 by cookj
cookj, Here is the link to Ernie's page:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ernies_world/a.htm

It's good to see someone that does programming just for fun and relaxation. Isn't that what the real definition of a h*cker used to be back in the day. Btw, ODBC might be something to look into. I started a POS system in VB a few years ago(VB4-16bit, yuck!) and never finished it. Are you going to use and mdb for the data or something along those lines? Don't mean to pry, just curious.
Posted on 2002-02-27 21:21:51 by rdaneel
yes, I was thinking of mdb or even sql.

Thanks guys for the info and the link

cookj
Posted on 2002-02-28 00:09:37 by cookj