Could someone tell me how to crash windows with the shortest of amount of code posible for each types listed below...

Code to get the blue screen
Code to get "General Page Fault" message box
Code to get "Registry Problem" message box

When you bring up the shut down message box and click "Close all programs and Log on As an New User" . Do anyone know the code to where i can do it in my program at a button click or do you have any ideas that may lead me to the coding of this type.

Thanks in advance
Posted on 2002-03-09 06:29:48 by cmax
Bluescreen: invoke WinExec with SW_HIDE and "C:\con\con" but i dont think it works in NT

GPF: int 3h when not using SEH.

Registry: i dunno.
Posted on 2002-03-09 13:46:10 by m00p
How I do it, on XP I get a gray screen of death rather than a blue one, is to start windows explorer and then click on a local favourite. To NOT do it I have to click in the folder tree a couple of times before using any favourites. Works 9 times out of 10.
Posted on 2002-03-09 15:50:51 by peterverstappen
Thanks

The main reason i want to know is that i have stayed with Win95 for all these years and i got it fairly under control. So now i will not wait for it to crash on me...i'll Crash it my Dame self So now even before it get ready to crash i already know why and now i dare it to.... (*9%<> )

I Can't wait to get XP and a 4,000,000mz computer to handle it...
( yes windows still trying to crack me but it will not work...)
How about the re-log on thing. If you find something in the future about it i think i got a kool trick for it.... I like it because i think it flush the memory quickly.... I be Xp and 2000 is a monster once you get the BULL out of it...

See ya
Posted on 2002-03-10 00:38:01 by cmax
search for some rundll32.exe commands
also there is a crash command for , but i dont had it in mind :(
if you like to logon a user fast this rundll32.exe is best for you,only win9x
also you can make exitkernel ,win9x

hehe i can mail you my sources ,im shure you find some wheres your system crash...remember my name :) <----- thats a joke ,laugh plz

look for the commands...bye
Posted on 2002-03-11 09:37:02 by syntax_error
try

pop ds

:alright:

CRYO
Posted on 2002-03-12 02:30:19 by CRYO
if you want to totally crash Win9X real quickly, just enter the following in a dos-box.
echo f 0:0 lfff 0 |debug.exe

windows should stop working now

Regards, Phueghy
Posted on 2002-03-12 04:41:19 by phueghy
If you want to make windows run like internet explorer, put a CreateWindowEx call to a control in an infinite loop, by the time it stops, you will not have enough memory to shut the system down and from memory you cannot even run the task bar.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-03-12 05:18:12 by hutch--

How I do it, on XP I get a gray screen of death rather than a blue one, is to start windows explorer and then click on a local favourite. To NOT do it I have to click in the folder tree a couple of times before using any favourites. Works 9 times out of 10.

Hi Peter,

I too use XP and have noticed this strange bug. I just wanted to share a little tip to recover from this.

Just do control-alt-delete, go to 'Task Manager' find explorer.exe and kill it. That's the process that has gone nuts so get rid of it. Your task bar will disappear. Don't panic. Click the 'Applications' tab on 'Task Manager', select 'New Task' then enter 'explorer.exe'.

This will start another explorer, with the task bar and all the apps you had open. There is no need to reboot.

This sort of problem would have destabilised 9x where system support dlls are mapped only once in the area between 2 and 3 Gb (in virtual memory terms). So when explorer.exe -- for instance -- screws up code/data in this region the damage is global since the system support dlls -- eg. kernel32.dll -- are mappled only once for the entire system. Further, code mapped to this region is privileged -- ie. read, write, execute anything system-wide -- so all bets are off.

From NT onwards -- thanks David Cutler -- the memory protection system is more stringent and the virtual memory management is more intelligent, so any damage is contained locally.

I've found XP to be quite solid. It's bugs in the periphery -- like this one -- that make it look worse than it actually is.

-fybo
Posted on 2002-03-12 06:33:25 by fybo
I put a CreateWindow for an edit control (with VS_VISIBLE style)
in an infinite loop and let it run for a couple of minutes on my win2k
box (that would probably have BSODd a 9x box... at least severe
GDI leaks usually end up BSODing 9x boxes).

Ok, the system got quite sluggish, 100% CPU time (doesn't surprise
anybody, does it?). Brought up task manager, terminated test.exe.
System froze (even mouse cursor) for about 10 seconds, then I got
the "are you sure you want to terminate this process", "yep".
The next 10-15 seconds the system was still running sluggishly,
and task manager didn't respond... and then everything went back
to normal.

I like win2k =)
Posted on 2002-03-12 07:47:46 by f0dder
f0dder,

At least you made the OS run like Internet Explorer until you closed it down. :)

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-03-12 09:17:27 by hutch--
Run like internet explorer? Nah, IE works pretty fine here. Actually
it's faster than the last version of netscape I tested (since most of
the code IE uses is already loaded in the various DLL files that are
used throughout the system...)

Oh yes, and IE has the advantage of displaying pages correctly
(where "correctly" means "as they are intenteded to look", not
"according to the standards" :/ ). Too bad there are security holes
here and there...
Posted on 2002-03-12 09:28:49 by f0dder
If you want to crash Windows95 quickly, just boot it :grin:

Sorry.. couldn't resist ;)

Anyway, just wanted to add about a curious thing: some years ago, while hacking here and there I discovered that there's a (if I recall well *undocumented*) VMM function called "Crash_Cur_VM".

Those Microsoft programmers knew what they do. :alright:

:grin:
Posted on 2002-03-12 15:23:42 by Maverick
Originally posted by Maverick
Anyway, just wanted to add about a curious thing: some years ago, while hacking here and there I discovered that there's a (if I recall well *undocumented*) VMM function called "Crash_Cur_VM".

:grin:
actually i think i've seen it in the win9x ddk. not 100% sure tho.
Posted on 2002-03-15 09:11:55 by cynix
Use the windows API

void WINAPI CrashSystem(int iDamageLevel);

Just kidding, but judging WindowsMe boxes, I wouldn't be surprise if this api exist :grin:
Posted on 2002-03-15 10:21:18 by dxantos
just boot it

HeeHeeHeeHeeHee

I found TWO sure ways now.

I just use two of my badly written short program and i get the Blue Screen and the other to get the General Page Fault box. I yet to figure out how to bring up the "Registry Problem" message box ... Msgsrv32.exe in the Window System has control of that but it don't even have a PE file in it ...

Eventually i plan to put a good SHE or something so that my progam can finish all of it operation before window crash on somebody. But i want to do it and know it myself so i done miss a single step. It make testing easier...
Posted on 2002-03-15 11:39:41 by cmax