hi all i'm new the the boards and everything. but has anyone ever made any really good asm programs. and if so can someone plz name then for me.

also the other threads don't seem to help me much as they end up leading to something bs like H.L.A. i wanna know whats the best way to learn assembly and with what. no i'm not a newb. even to date i help many c++ programmers out with some of their code. ijust wanna learned a more diffricult language and which also i can more better control my computer.

thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions and help me.:alright:
Posted on 2002-03-12 21:38:40 by Guy on Drugs
Guy on Drugs,

i don't know if motivation is something that any of us can help you with, you will write with whatever suits the task you have at hand.

If you can see a use for writing asembler in 32 bit, start with the MASM32 package as it has a lot of stuff to get you up to pace fast. You will need the Intel manuals and a good API reference, WIN32.HLP or the later CHM format files from MSDN or PLATFORMSDK.

HLA is a different concept from writing pure assembler. If you are interested in it look it up under the name Randall Hyde who is the author.

You will have to look for programs if you need convincing, many people here have written successful pure assembler programs so have a look around at what is available.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com

PS : Can you trade that nick in on a new one, someone may think we support the use of recreational chemicals.
Posted on 2002-03-12 21:54:35 by hutch--
Posted on 2002-03-12 23:27:46 by eet_1024
I'll let the others here speak for themselves. I've been an assembly language programmer since 1970, on the IBM-360/370/390 mainframes. PC wise, I can't count the number of assembly programs I've written over the years, although virtually all are 16 bit or 16/32 bit DOS programs.

At the moment, I'm working on converting my 16/32 bit PostScript driver for the VideoComp typesetter, to Win32asm. I'm also working on converting my 16/32 bit "stand alone" data base engine to a client/server system, again all in Win32asm.

:)
Posted on 2002-03-12 23:30:44 by S/390
Ahh! you should see the neural nets program by Thomas. Since you said you code in C++, there is NaN's MASM OOP model. And, you should hang around here, cause more AI programs are coming out soon (they are still under development).
Posted on 2002-03-12 23:33:46 by stryker
but has anyone ever made any really good asm programs

o I think that hostileencounter, could be a good exmple of what i will never do.
o On Iczelion site there are many pages of good examples.
o Little and powerful apps written in asm now a day are infinite.

Yeah, you will say that in C you can do the same.....

But I don't think.
In graphic operations and calculations asm can go into ass.

Bye B7
Posted on 2002-03-13 01:06:18 by Bit7

PS : Can you trade that nick in on a new one, someone may think we support the use of recreational chemicals.

do i really have to. i've had this name for a while now. its my online gaming name when i used to play tactical ops(before i got banned from too many servers just for doing good). and its like my online personality. alot of gaming communities know me and i am disliked by many. they all think i cheat. but hey thats a whole other story. i don't even know how to create a trainer in C still...

but, ok ok lemmi get back to the topic.

my whole purpose is to at a young age(i'm 15 now) to create a very large and useful programs in all assembly that runs at a very fast speed and is small in size. and also create games of this same stature. i dunno how imma step into the gaming industry but i took the PSAT's like a month ago. got my lil score back. and they made an anouncement that i got the highest score in the school(me being a black male in a fake thug society)(lol and also my school is kind of poor). i hope the real test is harder though:rolleyes: .

well thanks for the lil boost. i actually want to program in assembly now. at first all these other people(mostly people that program in H.L.L.'s) were putting down asm saying it was a waste of time but i see now they are wrong. they are just too lazy to learn such a harder language. thanks alot hutch and everyone else:alright:
Posted on 2002-03-13 09:09:46 by Guy on Drugs
Guy on D.

Yes, they will likely make you change the name, because forums like this are watched, and the more attention it draws, the more attention it draws....

Anyway, I'm not very good w/ ASM yet, how-ever it was my second language, 30+ yrs ago.....but I believe with your background, look at hutch's page, http://www.movsd.com and
the MASM32 stuff, you'll get it fast....

Also where in Md are you? close to DC?
Posted on 2002-03-13 09:37:57 by Brad
dang this is the only name i've been using for the past 3 years i dunno what imma change i to. and yes i live like on the outskirts of DC.
Posted on 2002-03-13 14:09:30 by Guy on Drugs
COOL!!!.....local call :)

Guy on D,

Maybe, In a few day's when work slows down....I can call you, and pick your brains, maybe you can quickly teach me some high level stuff?

Brad
Posted on 2002-03-13 18:40:47 by Brad
Guy On Drugs,

=====================
they made an anouncement that i got the highest score in the school(me being a black male in a fake thug society)(lol and also my school is kind of poor). i hope the real test is harder though .
=====================

15 is a good age and you should be able to learn many things well and fast but don't get caught in the trap of thinking that drugs are cool, I have seen so many people trashed on smack, coke, speed etc ... that it just ain't true.

I know that black people in the US have had it hard a lot of times and that society is still a bit loaded against you but NEVER play into anyones hands by being vulnerable. Drugs are for loosers, not smart young guys who can do better so get stuck into it and be the BEST at what you do.

Talent will shine out where loosers on drugs will end up on the trash heap.

I expect to hear good stuff coming out of what you do and you know how us cranky old b*rst*rds HATE being disappointed. :)

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-03-13 19:44:56 by hutch--
i'm too lazy to help people unless they helping me in someway.and hutch its just a name. everyone knows i don't do drugs... but i'll think about my new name...hmmm...

now this crap is just plain frustraiting. there are like no to the point tutorials on assembly. i mean are there any books. i'm about to go by some on friday(after i go see R.E.).
Posted on 2002-03-13 20:08:32 by Guy on Drugs
G

See, Randall Hyde's downloadable book: http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/Page_AoA/0_AoAHLA.html

However, to start with, I believe the tutorials and examples you will find on Hutch's site is made for RAD grasp!

:)
Posted on 2002-03-13 21:31:57 by Brad
yeah i'll check out hitches one but i'm not going to the other site thats hla its a whole other syntax that trys to emulate c and c++ and i just deleted all my c++ compiler stuff to get away from that language and focus on assembly.

hutch is the man. i'd pay to get some personal help =)
Posted on 2002-03-13 21:36:08 by Guy on Drugs
G

Only the last quarter of Randalls book covers HLA

B
Posted on 2002-03-13 21:40:25 by Brad
Originally posted by Guy on Drugs
i'm too lazy to help people unless they helping me in someway.

This is exactly the way to not get help...
It also tends to be elitist... IMHO

I'd do a whole rant on the subject, but I won't do it here :)

Disclaimer:
These comments aren't directed at you... But at the whole community of people who use others for knowledge, but don't "give" back inkind

Sliver
Posted on 2002-03-14 00:11:08 by Sliver
Guy on drugs, you really have to change your name on this board, because this board is the center of cyberterrorists community who code win32asm. Drugs are what is needed for being closing down.
Posted on 2002-03-14 01:10:30 by Aquila
Guy on D,
I recommand the name, Guy on Air. Air never hurt nobody. Air never bothered nobody. Heck, air usually doesn't even distract nobody.
Then again, may be you've got a condition. Maybe you could try Guy on HAMO inhibitor, or Guy on Riddlin, or Guy on Mood Stabilizer.
Posted on 2002-03-14 04:06:02 by Canite
Hi,

.. but has anyone ever made any really good asm programs.
Of course not, we're all lamers. We've no clue writing programs and assembly is the worst choice ever choosen.

Bye Miracle :confused:
Posted on 2002-03-14 04:16:30 by miracle
these other people(mostly people that program in H.L.L.'s) were putting down asm saying it was a waste of time but i see now they are wrong. they are just too lazy to learn such a harder language

sincerly, i don't know how many of them has seen the true power of 32bit api combined assembler.

Talking for me, for many years i've always wish to program in asm.
The problem was that i'm just so hard that i've never get understand the assembler. Everytime i gave-up and stay in HLL like VB or others.

Then i've finally said: i WANT to learn it ! Becouse is hard.
And i've buought more than one book, read many times same phrases, copied many samples and so on....

Now, with the help of this wonderful people in this forum, i can say that i can realize an application in asm, by myself.

Now is not important for me if i use asm or VisualBasic. I know something about asm and i prefer it to everything else :). That's important.

Giao Guy.
Posted on 2002-03-14 06:28:26 by Bit7