While working out my image loader library, I had another cool idea for moving gif files. A moving gif file is basically composed of multiple gif files strung together (plus or minus a header on the image).

If one was to pull each compressed image out of the gif file, tack on an appropiate header and copy it to some memory, the same tricks I used to open a still gif file could be used to open each frame.

Add a timer and a child window to blit to and you got a moving GIF control.

Anyone wanna race me to posting an implementation? <g>
Posted on 2002-03-14 21:17:34 by Ernie
(A spectator chants) Go Ernie..Go Ernie..Go Ernie..
Posted on 2002-03-15 08:52:58 by gscundiff
I don't know if it would be that easy. Each picture inside a GIF can have it's own local color table, or use the global one if no local one is present.
Each image can have an X an Y position as well and does not necessarily has to have the same size as the other images.
It would be possible though. But I'll focus on my png lib for now :)

Thomas
Posted on 2002-03-15 14:57:08 by Thomas
Select the parameters you wish to modify, and change their values.

gscundiff,

How about we start by making Pi equal 3 exactly?

It's just a thought <g>
Posted on 2002-03-15 17:29:32 by Ernie
Hmmm, wonder what a circle would look like then?
Posted on 2002-03-15 21:00:15 by gscundiff
Ellipse
Posted on 2002-03-16 01:06:07 by iblis
Nope, because you wouldnt have a constant radius to its center.

However, you can stick you head in a black hole and take a look around :grin: . According to Kipp Thorne, this is the only place to observe such as thing...

Back on topic tho,

Ernie, I say go for it :) I would race you, but i got too much unfinished bussiness as is....

Good luck, and glad to see your making more of an appearance these days :alright:
PS: Know of anyone in 'Lon Guyland, Noo Yawk' looking for Electrical Engineering grads with 7 years school? :grin:

:NaN:
Posted on 2002-04-09 23:30:09 by NaN
well, at one point, the official value of Pi in France was 4. all official documents required the use of this for calculations.
Posted on 2002-04-09 23:38:07 by jademtech
well, at one point, the official value of Pi in France was 4. all official documents required the use of this for calculations.

Lol :) When was that? 50 yrs ago? :)
Posted on 2002-04-10 00:45:03 by Qweerdy
I once heard tell one US state legislature did so decree that PI shall henceforth be exactly three. While I don't have a real reference, R.A. Heinlein mentioned this fact often enough that he must have known the orgional story.

Since 3 is closer to PI then 4 is, does this mean Americans aren't as stoopid as the French?

Oh geeze, here comes a flame war.

PS Coding work is on hold while I remodel my kitchen. Then I have to re-figure out my spaghetti code (Or toss it for a fresh start). Either way, the raw data chunking part wasn't so bad, its the comming GDI stuff that makes me tremble.
Posted on 2002-04-11 22:24:05 by Ernie
It doesn't really matter if one is stupid more or less than the other when we talk about such high levels of stupidity. :tongue:

Oh geeze, here comes thousands missiles to my house.. I can feel them. :grin:

;)
Posted on 2002-04-12 05:15:01 by Maverick
can't find it elsewhere on the net (too many links that have "4" and "official" and "France" etc) - but it's in the big book of Pi (it's actually quite small with digits of our beloved constant running along the top). i think it was in the early 19th century.

Here's something from a friend:
Two brothers lived in the woods.
One always baked pie.
The other was crazy;
He always ran around screaming, "Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
Posted on 2002-04-12 21:57:08 by jademtech