Hi everybody,

I'm sorry to say, but I've no real idea about making a serious prog. I would like to make a prog that has never been made.
And I've no idea about what kinda prog I could make. I would also like to make something useful not only for the programmers but for a lot of people.

I hope you will understand my mind and I wait your forward.

Thanks.

Thomas
Posted on 2002-03-16 15:54:15 by Vom-bonjour:-()
That is why many programmers migrate to programming tools for programmers - not just their use of the tools, but they want to create something useful to many and they know may programmers. :) What do people you know use their computers for? Is there something they could use their computers for, but don't? What knowledge or talent do you have that you could put into a piece of software? Can you build a better mouse trap? I don't really have an answer for you. ;)
    [*]Real-time NURBS game engine
    [*]Better .H to .INC conversion
Posted on 2002-03-16 16:08:15 by bitRAKE
recode a complete Linux distri incl. X-System and GUI (KDE or Gnome) in ASM :)
Posted on 2002-03-16 16:55:25 by bazik
I'm working on a program that will create a flesh n' bones clone of Kelly LeBroc by scanning various pictures and connecting a barbie doll to IDE cables.

Right now it's a little buggy. You have to wear a bra on your head to get it to work.
Posted on 2002-03-16 16:56:36 by iblis
hey, that's great, many guys here are really funny, they are laughing. Well, this is great, you ask for something that is apparently serious, and people reply by laughing, that's great.

I didn't kown that (asm) programmers were funny. I thought they spend all their time in front of their computer, but no!, it's not true, they laugh like the others, that's really interesting.

Thanks for all the replies, that was really helpful !!:alright:

Thomas;)
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:05:57 by Vom-bonjour:-()
Something I would like is a good 'search in files' tool, with features like:

[*]search specific dir & subdirs
    [*]binary search (by entering hex codes or something)
    [*]regular expression search for strings
    [*]etc

Something like the search build into windows, but much more powerful.

Thomas
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:06:52 by Thomas
For example, Thomas is serious (like bitRake), (hehe, he's got the same name as me: Thomas).

Thanks
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:08:34 by Vom-bonjour:-()

I'm working on a program that will create a flesh n' bones clone of Kelly LeBroc by scanning various pictures and connecting a barbie doll to IDE cables.

Right now it's a little buggy. You have to wear a bra on your head to get it to work.

I hope she will be complete with full magical powers!
Weird Science
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:10:24 by -T-
Well, I hope that too,
it will hard to do that so !!

Cheers,
Thomas
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:13:39 by Vom-bonjour:-()
:cool:
For example, Thomas is serious...
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:13:54 by pixelwise
No, sorry -T-. I'm not implementing that feature until version 2.0. (but once you experience the "User Interface" you won't even care about magic abilities)

;)
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:16:00 by iblis
:grin:
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:18:26 by pixelwise
pixelwise: the mad wizard always looks serious, unless he's on holiday: :grin:
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:19:07 by Thomas
pixelwise: you're right, I didn't look at his avatar ;).
iblis: so we'll wait for the next version.
Thomas: you're funny, a bit serious, but funny

it's really funny here :alright: :tongue: :grin: :cool:

Thomas (me not you ;) as Thomas wrote in another section)
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:22:51 by Vom-bonjour:-()
I saw a film sometime ago about Merlin going to the future and spend it in the Bahamas leaving Arthur in deep war sh*t. Is that one of the pictures he got?

I feel angry eyes looking at us for doing this in the Main forum :grin:
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:23:11 by pixelwise

Hi everybody,

I'm sorry to say, but I've no real idea about making a serious prog. I would like to make a prog that has never been made.
And I've no idea about what kinda prog I could make. I would also like to make something useful not only for the programmers but for a lot of people.

I hope you will understand my mind and I wait your forward.

Thanks.

Thomas
You may concentrate all of your efforts on making libraries. For example "the best ASM string library in the world", or "the best FPU library in the world", and optimize the hell out of it for each CPU, etc..

I think that you may enjoy most by being very specific, and by choosing what is not commonly available.

I hope I was helpful, don't give up.
Greets,
Mav
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:30:02 by Maverick
I saw a film sometime ago about Merlin going to the future and spend it in the Bahamas leaving Arthur in deep war sh*t. Is that one of the pictures he got?

I remember that, I believe it was Disney's.. He was wearing more colorful clothes though.
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:30:50 by Thomas
Oh now that you mentioned Disney. No, Arthur wasn't in war. He was just a kid in the film and Merlin was turning him into different kinds of animals for his 'training' :grin:

bonjour, sorry for polluting this thread :) Anyway, here's a quote from Andrew Rooney. He was talking about creative writing but I think his words apply to anything in general.
The shortage we face in this country is not new ideas, it's quality work.... Anyone who waits to be struck with a good idea has a long wait coming. If I have a deadline for a column or script, I sit down at the typewriter and damn well decide to have an idea. There's nothing magical about the process. No flashing lights.
Posted on 2002-03-16 17:45:39 by pixelwise
hey, pixelwise, you don't pollute this thread (in my opinion), on the contrary, it's funny !!:alright:

And thanks for the serious replies !
Posted on 2002-03-16 18:15:19 by Vom-bonjour:-()
Don't be scared to re-invent the wheel. This little "trick" was taught to me by a business analyst: think like a user when you use your app. For instance, grab a copy of a utility that has plenty of power and functionality. Then put your "programmer mentality" aside, and use it like an ordinary user would. When you have finished, ask yourself: "how can that app be improved?". many apps are great on the inside, but really lacking from the the ordinary user perspective; they may be ugly, the gui may be counter-intuitive, or they may be just difficult to use.

As an example of this, look at WinZip. It is pretty much one of the standard apps a user should have, it has had many millions of downloads. Why? Because the functionality is pretty much fault-free, and it is really easy to use, even newbies can use it. That is one of the main reasons why it is so popular. If an app is functionaly sound, sexy looking, and easy to use, it is a sure-fire seller, which makes you lots of money.

That is why i say: look at reinventing the wheel. There is the old saying: if you can build a better mouse-trap, the world will beat a path to your door.
Posted on 2002-03-16 21:20:37 by sluggy