I actually tried to create an assembler in pascal for a highschool project several years ago. It was called spasm too and it sucked hard. I didn't know anything about Lexical or syntactical analysis when I started and I still didn't know shit when I finished.

I recently read some stuff about compilers and junk but I still can't figure out how I would code it properly. Betov (or others) if you don't want to help others start their unrealistic goals to create a super assembler of sorts, could you at least post a link of some sort that'll help explain some of it so some of us, that would be great.
Posted on 2001-07-31 15:46:44 by Satrukaan
Just to add quickly... you can count me in on the idea... but:

1) Count on part time involvement
2) Im not in anyways a ring-leader on this one...
3) I can happly code and contribute.. but Some Serious design discussions need to be hosted by a "director" to make something like this form a practical time-line and deligation of work.. (This will most definitly not be me :grin: )

So.. lemme know when you get it going..

NaN
Posted on 2001-07-31 20:21:30 by NaN
I would be willing to organize people for this project. Is there anyone else that has the time to lead a project like this? Who else would like to get involved and in what ways? I must stress that I think it is a long long term project, and input is need from everyone here - coding shouldn't start for quite some time. There is a great deal of room for everyone to learn many things on this project.
Posted on 2001-07-31 22:15:21 by bitRAKE
hi

i think its a good idea to build something all of us together , to build an assembler , compiler or something like that .. and i'll want to be involved in this project.

month ago i heard about a computer virus that can run on diffrent os . what i mean that the virus has been writting for windows and linux . i dont know how this is working , but i can guess that in the begining of the file there is a check for the os ............
http://neworder.box.sk/showme.php3?id=4317

so if we could build an assembler that runs under windows and more os . just need to rename the ext of the file . it will be very
cool

eko :alright:
Posted on 2001-08-01 14:29:00 by eko
Hi guys,
Sorry for the late reply, but my exams start from the 6th till the 23rd so i will be very busy during that time. This is the reason why u havent seen me replying to any other threads lately.
I would love to think of desiging the syntax, collecting the team, learning about this whole thing right now, but its just not possible till my examinations end. I wotn be able to visit the forum frequently during this time and u wont hear of me too much.
So bye for for now and wish me luck(i really need it :grin: )

P.S.- I was expecting a lot more replies on this. Hutch, Hiro, f0dder,bodgan, where are you guys?
Posted on 2001-08-02 14:24:53 by MovingFulcrum
I'm right here, MF :). I don't personally need some "new assembly
language". I do most of my code in C, and when I need asm, I don't
really need many fancy bells and whistles. A good macro processor,
and a standard syntax. That's what I need, and what I have. Masm
is a decent product, even though I find nasm's syntax better. Too bad
nasm's preprocessor is dog-slow, and that nasm doesn't remember
sizes of variables, so you have to do all these byte/word/dword
overrides :(.

eko, multi-platform assembler? Bad idea. You might end up having
a pretty large file if you need to support multiple platforms. Much
better to do compile-time platform support. Which is most easily
achieved through some form of high-level language. Look at NASM,
it can be compiled (and run :)) on just about any platform.

Run-time multi-platform is more fun than it's useful.
Posted on 2001-08-02 19:26:25 by f0dder
To be as fast as asm, a new language would need to assemble
cpu-level instructions _exactly_ according to the text
written by the programmer, as does asm (at least if we avoid
internal macros such as PROC and .IF). But the programmer
would still need to program down to that level, whatever his
text files look like. Still, we can hope for some reduction
in the labour of writing asm. Some people have
written pseudo-compilers and "preassemblers" which generate
asm _source_ text, which then goes to an assembler. In the
same vein is idea of text macros, which can save a lot of
typing at no cost in control of what actually gets assembled.
Moreover, macros can accomodate personal differences in style,
which a new language cannot.

Maybe we should start a thread or section on this board, where
we all post our "wish lists" for an assembler (and linker, editor,
debugger, O/S, ...).
Posted on 2001-08-02 21:37:53 by Larry
f0dder,
The aim here is to create a language which is as easy to use as C and yet gives you the speed and control of asm.
Sure this is an uphill task to think out something like this, otherwise there would already have been hundreds of language like this. I would love to do the thinking out at the moment i am way too busy with my exams.
Till then i think we can have a brainstorm session on this.
Posted on 2001-08-03 02:49:53 by MovingFulcrum
has anyone tried the HLA from the same site as the AoA reference? is it any good?
Posted on 2002-03-23 11:51:43 by jademtech