Hi everybody!

I've got a question for all of you, about how to do something:

I want to create a client and server that works on a lan, where the server interacts with a database on that particular computer and feeds the information to the clients when they request it.

Where do I start?

The only command I'm familiar with for communication is the CreatePipe and related commands, but I've only used that on the one computer for inter-process communication. What is a better idea?

To give everybody a clearer idea of what I'm trying to do: At work, we have set up a web page that accepts data and spits it back out in a table. It uses a PHP with mySQL. People that are not inputting data are grabbing it and then doing the work that needs to get done. But it can lead to two people that grab the same data. I would like to improve on this by setting up a client/server like I mentioned above. The web page works alright but there are other things (unrelated) that would make an executable more desirable.

Thank you for reading and/or replying!
I hope someone can help... I'll check out some other things in the mean time

--Chorus
Posted on 2002-03-23 07:39:00 by chorus
Start by reading some winsock documentation, there's a helpfile for winsock 2 at my website or you can get the platform SDK documentation which is the most recent.
You also need to design a simple protocol for the communication, i.e. the documentation that describes how the server and client should talk to each other. Design some commands like 'update data', 'request data', etc.
Finally you need some type of database to store the data. This depends on the complexity of your data. If you need a complex database you can use msaccess (via ODBC) or use some mySQL library. For simple databases you can design your own file format.

Thomas
Posted on 2002-03-23 07:43:45 by Thomas
you can also try reading Iczelion's tutorials (there's one on both Winsock and ODBC) at http://win32asm.cjb.net.
Posted on 2002-03-23 09:18:47 by jademtech