Ok, I am back :)
Kenny,
Thats a nice idea but most of the times the values in registers depends on user inputs and parameters passed on to the functions. The situation you have shown below occurs very rarely.
If you can elaborate a bit more on this idea it would be nice.

Forge:
Really! Thats new to me. Anyway i am from Eastern India;)

bitRake:
Not going too much into religions, Buddhism is not too popular here and as far as programming differently is concerned i dont think thats true. There are learning centres all around teaching VB,.Net,etc.

Just to mention there was an ad in the newspapers from one of these centres which said that they teach "OOPS and C++".

i was planning to get it scanned it from somewhere and post it here;)
Posted on 2001-08-31 13:53:18 by MovingFulcrum
Ok, I got it in my mind, but not yet on paper. Lemme sort this one through, then I will give you the best idea ever :) Well maybe it won't be, but I will have fun thinking it over :) lol
Posted on 2001-08-31 13:58:44 by Kenny
My dream editor? Here we go..

A Replica of the Visual Basic IDE. Drag and drop controls, edit their properties in the properties window, double click them to edit their "events". Then when you're ready, it'll generate the code for you, build it, and run it. Also, it would let you edit it's generated code if you wish, to optimize it. It would be pretty hard to do, but appreciated by many.
Posted on 2001-08-31 22:50:26 by vcv
editor features:

once you type the opcodes the following appears in the gutter: 1) the hex it turns into, 2) byte count, 3) cycle count (on your target).

dr phil :)
Posted on 2001-09-01 00:53:52 by phil
I have very austere dreams, thats why I use my own, matches the dreams perfectly.

Outside of the pretty bits like syntax colouring which gives me eyestrain, the OS has more grunt than any IDE and I prefer to use the OS capacity to run other things like the file manager, assemblers, linkers, resource compilers and so on.

Usually the longer you code, the less frilly bits you want, just more grunt and speed without any clutter. An IDE is a closed system that can do less that the OS and flexibility so I don't use them, I want an editor to edit code with, a resource editor to build dialogs in, an assembler to convert it to binary and a linker to screw it all together.

My dislike of the IDE concept is based on my dislike of doing things in ways that other people think I should.

Regards,

hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-09-01 05:38:16 by hutch--
hutch,

I know I feel as you do in that I prefer that single focus operation. If I?m editing source that?s what I want to see. If I want to build a dialog I?ll type it in. If I?m assembling a project I?ll do it myself. What?s the big deal!

I?m just a ?I?ll handle it thank you! ? kind of guy. I like to call it the ?True Grit!? way of doing things. That's me partner.:grin:

With that said my friend I have to say I believe that a well designed IDE is very helpful to folks learning asm. If an IDE can simplify the assemblage of the project it lets beginners focus more on learning the coding aspect of asm. They are less likely to give up out of frustration. As your knowledge grows so will your desire for more control.;)
Posted on 2001-09-01 07:56:17 by bcraven
f0dder:
What do I need in a good editor? Let me think... first of all, integration with MSDN.

I'm gonna make a plugin for RadASM that does just that as soon as the plugin interface is released (I've got keyword lookup and stuff working perfectly already). This plugin will also support the old Win32.hlp, and probably opcodes.hlp too. Perhaps I'll make it 100% modular so you can plug in any helpfile you want :)

Anyway, the code's just waiting to be shaped into a plugin...
Posted on 2001-09-01 10:43:17 by Qweerdy
I don't know if anyone shares my thoughts, but I've used a bit of VB and I have to say that the Ctrl+Break feature is the best in the world. Now, if I could say hit it, and use my handy list of variables to check out what's happenin in my program, and perhaps change them, I would be so happy. Even better would be a call stack and other handy debugging features, like on the fly editing.
Another handy feature in VB is the module list at the top of the window, like in C++. Add in a resource and hex editors and you got yourself a kick ass editor that I would be first in line to buy. :alright:
And maybe a handy thing for those lazy programmers out there would be the ability to enter a complex equation that is then converted to ASM code. I know how bloody annoying it is to write formulas in ASM, especially when it doesn't work the way it should.
Posted on 2001-10-11 08:01:37 by AlphaGremlin