I have just been in contact with the people who run my web site and they have told me that there have been about 33 thousand downloads of MASM32v7 since it was released.

Now while I am pleased that the package is useful to a lot of people, it is now causing problems with my web site with well over 1 gig of data going out this month so far.

I can try and buy some more bandwidth but the current demand is too high for what I can probably afford which is an additional 15 pounds UK per gigabyte.

What I was hoping was that there is a site owner or sysop who has some spare bandwidth who would be willing to help out with the demand so that there will be no lack of availability for programmers who are interested in writing 32 bit assembler.

If anyone is in this position, would you please let me know at my normal email address hutch@movsd.com.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-04-02 04:28:32 by hutch--
If all the people on this forum placed it in their Morpheus/Kazaa/Limewire/Bearshare etc. shared folder that could help perhaps :)
Posted on 2002-04-02 09:47:35 by Qweerdy
I was suggesting edonkey2000

for anyone interested, keep in mind that it's a lot of bandwidth each month, unfortunately it's not a trivial package :/
Posted on 2002-04-02 10:03:33 by Hiroshimator
I guess we have some free/unused Gigabytes of bandwidth available at hostileencounter.com (hostway), so i guess we can host it there also :)

What do you say Hutch?
Posted on 2002-04-02 10:09:17 by BogdanOntanu
I'd avise to get the last download data because as was calculated hutch has a bandwitdh need of approximately 35G/month :/
Posted on 2002-04-02 10:13:22 by Hiroshimator
Can't Microsoft support it's own Assembler?
Posted on 2002-04-02 10:17:25 by Nordbon
sure they can and do, you can download it in nice huge DDKs
Posted on 2002-04-02 10:18:53 by Hiroshimator

sure they can and do, you can download it in nice huge DDKs

Or in the Processor Pack, but can't they at least support with some serverspace, so that hutch can upload it to their site and link to their site?
Posted on 2002-04-02 10:26:12 by Nordbon
Nordbon, If people learn to program for windows in assembly, who will buy NET? ;)
Posted on 2002-04-02 10:49:14 by ThoughtCriminal

Nordbon, If people learn to program for windows in assembly, who will buy NET? ;)

They don't have to make a 150 billion dollar ad-campaign for it, just a small link on some Word helpfile, that hutch can link to. :grin:
Posted on 2002-04-02 10:51:15 by Nordbon
Bogdan,

Thanks for the offer, it is most appreciated and will help with the problem. Will you email me so I know what is involved to get it going ?

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-04-02 17:55:18 by hutch--
edonkey would be a good idea, if a LOT of people would host it.
But... most people on edonkey only keep downloads for a few days,
plus many normal people wont download the edonkey client. as it
is too "warez-like".
Posted on 2002-04-02 18:44:16 by f0dder
perhaps we could write a redistribution mechanism? like some sort of server-side program that checks to see which volunteer hosts currently have the most available upload bandwidth. i personally leave my computer on 24/7 (i host my own website with very little traffic) /w a comfortably over 20KB/s uplink. i wouldn't mind having a link on my computer, but as i said, my upload speed is really slow.

if enough of us (especially in North America, the land of cheap pipes) agreed to run a small server to serve client requests...

just an idea i had for a M$-Word chat program i wrote (don't ask. it involves a course in a computer lab, typing up "essays..." for a school project)
Posted on 2002-04-02 22:11:59 by jademtech
how about yahoo briefcase?
Posted on 2002-04-02 23:34:41 by Tsongkie[ii]
I don't know much about Web and Bandwidth yet but i think jademtech is on to something...If it is cheap here...Hook up with it. The small and midemum ones only, Maybe cb, Prodigy, PC Mag, or who ever.

Hutch can't keep living off love of ASM. I am willing to bet that even he forgot about making a buck.

We learned enough to create some of the strongest apps that can ever exist in our time so it's near time to make some cash for it and help support this board. Most of us has got caught up in just learning and having big fun doing it....Most don't even think about cash because of the joy and respect that comes from this place. We can come up with something.

I know who the Kings are.

PS: Correction, this is M$ i am talking to... By Law don't mean what you think... by LAW means Down by Law of ManKind...a form of street talk..Common Law...Thank you
Posted on 2002-04-03 00:47:30 by cmax
i will email you the details, we have about 10G monthly bandwidth and HE only takes about 2G so the rest is free for you :)

We have 300Mb daily traffic limit.

i guess we can place it as a download other tools link or something and place big sign for it on the first page... we will also have to make a way for you to update it on will via ftp ?
Posted on 2002-04-03 01:22:36 by BogdanOntanu
Bogdan, if you go over that traffic limit then your site won't display anymore (well, probably else they won't set a daily limit)

you have the second package? Gold Plus?
Posted on 2002-04-03 04:24:32 by Hiroshimator
i think ppl are downloading more than once reason being first they download it then they cant do it and later they get some courage to do it and etc. what i recommend is some one good at perl write script that count downloads, script also should email the person where the download is what happens is if you put the programs in several different places you could tell the script to
server array
serveroff=false;

if downloads==100 then
download=100*5;
if limit==500 then
serveroff=true;

and so...
Posted on 2002-04-03 11:35:53 by k0d
perhaps you could break up the download into smaller logical units: base, help, tutes, examples, etc.

and instead of including Iczelion's tutes, you could just leave a link to his site?
Posted on 2002-04-03 17:13:56 by jademtech
No, I think we should keep the package together (ofcourse that's up to hutch).

I agree it would be a perfect idea to make a ASP or PHP redirection page that redirects users to different servers to spread the load, and stops downloads if all the servers have reached their maximum number of downloads set in the script. In fact I think a script like that could be about 1kb in size, and since it only redirects users its bandwidth usage would be virtually zero... also, everyone on this board could help out and it wouldn't matter if a server went down because the script would just redirect to another. Of course, we'd still have to host the asp on a reliable server :)

PS: I think it would be even better to give a list of available servers and let users pick the one closest to them :) Wow this could really work :alright:
Posted on 2002-04-04 06:46:05 by Qweerdy