How about putting it on some free servers and
link externally to it, or like qweerdy said, let a script choose one?

Thomas
Posted on 2002-04-04 06:52:22 by Thomas
In a few minutes i have upped the file MASM32v7.zip to w1.612.telia.com/~u61202518, it's probably unlimited bandwitdth since it's Sweden's biggest ISP and one of Sweden's largest companies.

Hutch: You could hear with http://ftp.sunet.se if they can host you, they have an 10GBit backbone (one of the world's fastest university networks), they will probably mirror your whole site. ;)
Posted on 2002-04-04 09:01:15 by Nordbon
I just heard from hutch that the problems appear to be solved thanks to a very generous offer by mister Randall Hyde to host the masm32 package :)
Posted on 2002-04-04 09:17:22 by Hiroshimator
Nordbon,

I just tested the link you posted and it works fine. Is that site reliable enough for me to put the direct link to MASM32v7 there ?

If so I would like to put the link on my site so that the load is spread more evenly.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-04-04 17:11:30 by hutch--
While telia doesn't have any bandwith limitations that I've heard of,
I'd be surprised if they don't react in some way to the amount of
traffic the masm32 will generate :).

Hutch, you ought to contact sunet and ask if they'd be willing to
host the download package, they are *very* reliable and fast, and
host all sorts of stuff.
Posted on 2002-04-04 17:17:43 by f0dder
f0dder,

it sounds like a good idea but I have no idea of how to contact the people who run the university site and negotiate with them. The other factor is that I am a very long way away and only have an English speaking background.

Any suggestions of how to get this going would be appreciated. I am starting to get enough support to spread the load around so that it does not hit one site too much and if I could get a university site like this one in Europe, it would help heaps.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-04-04 17:40:08 by hutch--

230-If you have any problems or comments about this archive, please send
230-them via e-mail to archive@ftp.sunet.se. Please also let us know if
230-there is something we don't have that you think we should!

That's in their welcome message when doing anonymous ftp, so
try sending them an email describing the situation - the worst you
can get is a no :).
Posted on 2002-04-04 17:46:33 by f0dder
does this mean that this big problem has been solved... at least for temporarily?

and about the host of the PHP/ASP/custom web server software (hey, it can't be *that* hard to respond to some GETs and read from files and have a specially compiled script for the redirection): it just be hosted on hutch--'s current movsd.com
Posted on 2002-04-04 18:15:03 by jademtech
f0dder,

Thanks, I have sent them an email and will see what happens. I might just get lucky.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-04-04 18:22:10 by hutch--
off-topic message.

which reminds me: f0dder's current # of msgs (2004) reminds me of the release date of a certain... Smurfalicious game ;)
Posted on 2002-04-04 18:28:29 by jademtech

Nordbon,

I just tested the link you posted and it works fine. Is that site reliable enough for me to put the direct link to MASM32v7 there ?

If so I would like to put the link on my site so that the load is spread more evenly.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com

You can put a direct link to that site if you need/want to, I don't know any bandwidth limitations, since there aren't any on my ADSL connection, there shouldn't be any on their servers neither.

But hear I ftp.sunet.se can host you, they will probably agree, since they got almost all Linux kernels and distributions in all versions, and a lot of other things. Plus a very fast connection.
Posted on 2002-04-05 07:37:11 by Nordbon
I emailed the http://ftp.sunet.se site as f0dder suggested but after about 5 days I have had no response at all so I wondered if one of the forum members from Sweden could give the site a try to get MASM32v7.zip hosted there.

I have this sneaking suspicion that an email from the other side of the world making a request of this type would probably not be taken any notice of.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-04-11 06:23:23 by hutch--
...or perhaps there's a better way to contact them :). I dunno...
but they *do* host a lot of different stuff. A mirror of scene.org,
which is no small thing. And lots of other stuff. But oh well :).
Posted on 2002-04-11 07:57:39 by f0dder

I emailed the http://ftp.sunet.se site as f0dder suggested but after about 5 days I have had no response at all so I wondered if one of the forum members from Sweden could give the site a try to get MASM32v7.zip hosted there.

I have this sneaking suspicion that an email from the other side of the world making a request of this type would probably not be taken any notice of.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com

They recommend to upload it to a site that they mirror.

These are examles of sites they are mirroring:

Tucows (See http://uploads.tucows.com for instructions.)
SimTel.Net (See http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/simtelnet/UPLOAD.TXT for instructions.)
Posted on 2002-04-11 08:50:55 by Nordbon