We were hit by a virus that came in on a floppy from home, it messed up alot of computers. And for about 6 hours the network was down while we cleaned up the mess.

So I am trying to disable all the floppies on the network that do not have virus scanners.

It's easy to replace the hsflop.pdr file with one that does nothing, for protection. So I need a .pdr example MASM source file or if possible a substitute hsflop.pdr in source code form. Or at least, C source code that I can translate to MASM.

I was on another newsgroup trying to get information on how to simulate checking "Disable in this hardware profile" under Device usage in Device Manager of My Computer - Properties, for the floppy disk controller.

Either way works for me, but both would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy your work, P1
Posted on 2002-04-04 16:39:06 by Pone
Then delete this message.

Thanks, P1
Posted on 2002-04-04 16:50:02 by Pone
Hm, I thought MASM32 was "Everything concerning hutch's MASM32 package. The compiler, NOT programming."
- so wouldn't this thread be better suited for the MAIN forum?
Posted on 2002-04-04 17:09:05 by f0dder
f0dder,

That why I asked for it to be moved. I was in a hurry, so I typed MASM instead if Main.

Thanks for your help, P1 :o
Posted on 2002-04-05 08:45:15 by Pone
Method #2: Checking the "Disable in this hardware profile"

These are system dialog boxes.
What are the ways to bring them up?
Then send messages to the controls on the dialog?
Can we do this without displaying them ( dialog boxes themselves ) seeing I would like to run this little program from the network login script?

Enjoy your work, P1
Posted on 2002-04-05 10:32:39 by Pone
all this can be done easily through the registry. most settings are stored in the registry anyways. i assuming you already know how to write to the registry so i will just post a few websites that will help you on which registry values you will need to change.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q158457

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/204/
Posted on 2002-04-05 12:14:59 by smurf
smurf,

Thanks for the info!

Hiding drives ( This was done already with a policy setting. ) no longer keep some of my users from using the A: drive.

Most of my network clients are W9X anyway. We don't have the money yet to upgrade to W2K or XP. Besides we are still running 486es as single purpose stations on the network.

I was hoping someone else had cut this path in the Microsft Windows jungle, so I could find it.

No such luck :confused:

But I determined and will invite anyone along for the expedition and share the wealth, when we have achieved our goal.

Thanks much, P1 :alright:
Posted on 2002-04-05 12:29:47 by Pone