Hi,

I'm quite new to this and I was wondering if I need to be careful with connecting to servers etc. with WinSock functions.

Do servers mind if you connect to them and send them garbage?

S.
Posted on 2002-04-19 17:29:12 by Station
I don't think you will do something really illegal that quick, unless you are doing it in huge amounts so it may look like an attack. Most protocol specifications require the programs that support it to be flexible in what they allow. Just send garbage to an HTTP server and it will probably give you a nice HTTP error message ("bad request").
Some servers might be picky about wrong ports though. The server my website is running on for example. When you connect to an invalid port (say 4442 or something) on that server, it will block your IP so you cannot connect anymore. I did this accidentally and couldn't access my own site anymore :)

Thomas
Posted on 2002-04-19 17:36:59 by Thomas
Yeah and you might want to avoid connecting on typical Trojan ports. I know of a few servers that will notify your ISP or even its upstream provider if it detects a connect attempt on say, port 31337. ;)
Posted on 2002-04-21 04:30:10 by iblis
What's a typical trojan port?

I presume that its a port number that somebody would connect to when attempting a trojan style attack but why would some ports be more suitable for this than others?

Thanks for your insights.

S.
Posted on 2002-04-21 10:46:03 by Station
Wel for port 31337 it's pretty obvious (31337 = Eleet = Elite)

But most trojan packages (used by most scriptkiddies) have standard ports in their settings, and script kiddies are not known for their creativity. Search the web, you'll find many lists with common trojan ports.
Posted on 2002-04-21 10:52:59 by Qweerdy
When doing initial testing of your apps, test connecting to your own
box :). If you need to test HTTP requesting, you can install a win32
copy of apache, there are also free/shareware win32 ftp servers,
and you could always set up a simple netcat "server" :)
Posted on 2002-04-21 11:27:27 by f0dder
well if you gonna connect to one, connect to a major one like microsoft or yahoo. they wont notice anything probably unless you try scanning them repeatedly. i have been working on an ftp client and ive kinda hammered the microsoft ftp quite a few times sending commands and such and my ip hasnt been banned or anything.
Posted on 2002-04-21 22:36:05 by smurf
Your major concern when sending garbage to a server would be Intrusion Detectio Ssystems and they pretty much always look for specific patter or as thomas said huge amounts of garbage... so in theory you could actually send something that would make them react... (I've done it myself)... But I wouldn't worry to much about that... If you get reported orspomething just tell them waht you were doing and most of the time they'll drop the charges... As long as they believe you
Posted on 2002-04-30 06:28:50 by NervGaz