Hi there,
this is my first post to the new board and I hope I'm still welcome :)

I finally started learning Assembler three days ago. I'm German so I started with two German books ( "Programmiersprache Assembler - Eine strukturierte Einf?hrung" - by Reiner Backer and "Assebler Refenrenz" - by Oliver M?ller) would be great if somebody would come up with some recommendations (I'll have to start with the basics to move over to ai and gfx programming later...).

The first problem I encountered was with hutch's masm32 package. I didn't manage to compile DOS resources so I moved over to tasm 4.0 for the start of it.

My second question: What is the difference between include and extrn ? I got it this way: inlude includes the file, so the sources are assembled as one while you can assemble them on their own by using extrn. Is that right?

And finally something for f0dder: Think we talked about Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 3 a year ago, did you have a look at it? Has it completely been done, like Crammond says, in Assembler?

That's it for today, thanks in advance for your answears!

And not to forget: Thanks Hutch (and all the others) for this community place, I think I would not have started with ASM without it :)
Posted on 2002-04-25 04:28:59 by Matthias Pfau
Matthias,

Glad you have posted in here, we are glad to hear from new members.

MASM32 will only build 32 bit programs, to build 16 bit DOS programs, you need to use an old OMF linker which can be obtained from either Iczelion's site of from the Microsoft site.

the directive INCLUDE only includes a disk file at the location where you include it. You can use EXTERNDEF when writing prototypes for "external" functions in libraries among other things.

If you don't already have it, get the following reference material, the Intel manual set from the Intel site, PIII or PIV are fine. WIN32.HLP is useful and faster than the HTM versions and if you have the download bandwidth, get the current platformsdk for the latest HTML help files.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-04-25 04:47:56 by hutch--
good choice. "Assebler Refenrenz" is the best german reference.:alright:
Posted on 2002-04-25 04:48:02 by adapix
Good to know I bought the right book :) Wasn't cheap...

hutch: I think I'll stay to tasm for the next few days, shouldn't take to long to get the dos stuff...

I'll move over to masm32 after that. One question about it: does anybody use the editor? It's not that bad but I prefer UltraEdit :)

Thanks for the hints, I'll have a look at them after I got the basics :)
Posted on 2002-04-25 05:02:24 by Matthias Pfau
Hi Matthias... had a (quick) look at gp3, and since there's a Visual C++
runtime in there from the looks of it :). Of course it could be the
dependency of <some other library>, but I doubt it.
Posted on 2002-04-25 06:37:00 by f0dder