This is just a fantasy question regarding an idea I had when and aquaintance tried to replace the memory in his HP pc with standard memory. Basically it didn't work. The 128 read as 127 in the startup memory check and just crashed on normal operations. I downloaded a memory checking tool and it failed a gazillion times. The thing is that it worked fine under dos so there was obviously only parts of the memory that were effected like the high memory. I don't know enough about how memory works though. HP are charging 3 times the normal price for their 'approved' memory which he will have to get anyway.

The question is, is it feasable the one could program some sort of memory emulator that an OS could run inside that would check the memory on startup then simulate memory locations by allocating usable memory and avoiding the bad parts. For example redirecting bits that use himem to other parts of memory.

Alternatively, if it is a software(bios) issue rather than hardware, are there any free bios rom emulators/debuggers about that would allow you to run an image of the bios and check whether the bios looks for some sort of manufacturer code in the memory. I'm pretty sure that reverse engineering laws would allow this as most of these allow reverse engineering when compatability issues are not addressed by manufacturers. You'd probably have to get some advice first though.

regards,

Raavin
Posted on 2002-04-30 21:19:11 by Raavin
To me it sounds like one of the following:

[*] broken memory module
    [*] incompatible ram (PC100 in a PC133 system)
    [*] CAS set too low (CAS2 with CAS3 ram)

Or perhaps HP is using some proprietary modules, but I doubt it.
    Would be too expensive to manufacture, I think. But who knows.
Posted on 2002-05-01 04:08:24 by f0dder