hi all,

how are you ? hope alla fine :)

i'm writing an e-mail client in asm, as someone of you has already done in a great way! But for me was a deam ... so i would try to!

Now i'm just at the beginning, so i would like to ask for the better way to move...

1) when i retrieve POP3 messages, can i save the messages in a file just as they are formatted ?
Then i will need to read message header to put :', 'Subject :' and other strings in a listview....

2)for this purpose i've decide to do a memory mapped file for all the messages.. is it a good idea?

3)messages file should be encripted ? i think yes :)

Thanks.....
B7 :)
Posted on 2002-05-04 05:13:25 by Bit7

i'm writing an e-mail client in asm, as someone of you has already done in a great way! But for me was a deam ... so i would try to!

Welcome to the party! :)

1) when i retrieve POP3 messages, can i save the messages in a file just as they are formatted ?
Then i will need to read message header to put :', 'Subject :' and other strings in a listview....

I wrote a parser engine, wich weeds out all HTML stuff and just displays the plain text. But because of EXPORT functions I save the messages in the format I receive them and load them through the parser on demand.

2)for this purpose i've decide to do a memory mapped file for all the messages.. is it a good idea?

Before receiving the message from server, I get it's size, allocate that ammount of memory via HeapAlloc, read the file in the memory and parse out all Attachments in seperat memory blocks. Then I do the base64 decoding and save the message and the attachment seperat.
But this part isn't finished and I'll change it because I'm not really happy with that way.

3)messages file should be encripted ? i think yes :)

I you want to decrypt them every time your user presses "Search in Messages", do it :) I think if you don't really want to encrpyt them, don't do it. Anyway, I added GnuPG support to my Client last week :)

This project is going bigger and bigger :) Hope I get a Version someday wich I can REALLY release as v1.0 ;)

regards,
bAZiK
Posted on 2002-05-04 05:32:49 by bazik
hahaha
i think it will be a good party for me :)

now i'm putting all the messages in a file like this:

+OK 1150 octets
Return-Path: <asm_laboratory@tin.it>

fdsfaf
asdffdsfa
fsafs

+OK 1100 octets
Return-Path: <asm_laboratory@tin.it>

fdsfaf
asdffdsfa
fsafs

then i open it and retrieve all the strings to put in the summary listview...

Could it be good as start?
Posted on 2002-05-04 05:52:20 by Bit7