I read masta's tutorial 2 about search and destroy patch but i don't quite understand what he is talking about especially
i don't have any idea about repnz scasb etc ....
Well i will apreciate it if someone tell me about them and show some examples like simple searching program ...
Thx for reading and Good luck for everyone here
Posted on 2002-05-05 05:39:16 by xerox2ooo
it's actually pretty easy: learn assembler. Get the Art of Assembly language and learn the basic instructions so that you know which is used and why.

There's no other way, you can not expect to use any language without learning its syntax.
Posted on 2002-05-05 06:30:09 by Hiroshimator
Actually there are a lot of procedures ready to use in the masm32 library, for example, INSTR.

But if you'd like to implement your own code for searching, you just proceed as if you were programming with a more evolved language. MASM syntax is surely not a handicap.

First, you should search for a single byte, the one your string begins with, and once found, you stick on this and see, if the second byte fits too, and so on. If it doesn't, you restart from your last position with the single byte search.

If you don't like scasb, you may examine manually 's value, or any index register you've chosen.

In any case, the masm32 library procedures are made well and not too difficult to understand. Depending on which version you have, it might be documented code, too.

Giovanni
Posted on 2002-05-05 16:06:55 by sch.jnn