I'm pretty sure I remember reading that somebody already cracked the rsa
Posted on 2002-05-05 18:27:05 by iblis

Later we'll see where to attach the code, ok?
Giovanni, you are quite the tease. :tongue:
Posted on 2002-05-05 18:35:05 by bitRAKE
You should publish it IMHO. Or at least make it public in some way, like by demonstrating your knowledge. That way people can decide whether or not to continue using RSA.

And I wonder why you still think RSA is useful when it's crackable?
Posted on 2002-05-05 18:38:21 by _js_
Giovanni,

Just one request here, if you have detected a defect in the encryption method, feel free to publish it but DON'T post the idea that it has been CRACKED here as it will attract attention from some "dipsh*t" in the security area of some Government Department who is too stupid to draw the distinction between research and CRACKING.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-05-05 18:41:22 by hutch--
The funny thing about prime numbers greater than ten is that they all end in:

or

And if you multiply them together, you get a number that ends in:
1 (1*1, 7*3, 9*9)
3 (1*3, 7*9)
7 (1*7, 3*9)
or
9 (1*9, 7*7, 3*3)

by extension we *might* discover other similar rules, such as that primes greater than n might end in xx,xy,xz, etc. We can then extend this into the binary world, and find that prime numbers larger than n end in binary 1 or binary 01 or binary 1011, and that their multiples equal something really weird.

That it?
Posted on 2002-05-05 22:51:36 by AmkG

The funny thing about prime numbers greater than ten is that they all end in:

or

Very close.
Posted on 2002-05-06 02:57:07 by sch.jnn
I've been thinking all night (couldn't sleep at all) how to proceed.

I see many of you would like to see an example. Please be patient. Now I want only decide if or if not to publish the algo. Today I am favorite.

Many of you see the problem from the point view of the one who "discovered".

Many of you see the problem from the point view of the one who wants to know.

No-one of you see the problem from the point view of the one who would like to keep quiet (yet). Is there anyone?

Some heared from a simular discovery before. Where? When? Who?

Giovanni

PS: Is "discovery" a better word than "crack"?
Posted on 2002-05-06 03:54:33 by sch.jnn

I wonder why you still think RSA is useful when it's crackable?

RSA i the result of a lot of math studies. It has been the most affascinating algo to me. It will have many uses besides crypting, since it works a bit like biologic DNA - a perfect connector. But it could be used for encryption only as long as no fast solution of big number relationships are known.

Giovanni
Posted on 2002-05-06 04:02:43 by sch.jnn
you are still thinkning if you should publish . ?

think on that : you probably not the only one who figure this out .
and probably not the last one . so.. all the people who using rsa right now not secure at all becuase if this true there is a way and 99% you are not the only one who knows about it.

if you are not going to publish it . you are doing the worse thing . becuase people trust the rsa algo becuase until now no one was able to crack it fast .

bye

eko
Posted on 2002-05-06 04:34:03 by eko
First pass: I uploaded the BN Library (1 of 2). See the win32asm Thread. Enjoy!

Giovanni
Posted on 2002-05-06 13:05:33 by sch.jnn

How about a little demonstration first? ;)

I'll have a look. With your permission :) I will see if the proposed number comes from RSA. Then I take paper an pencil, and see what I can do (I have no program yet). But don't be too optimistic, I have only very little time for playing with numbers, and (very) probably I'll start the expected Thread before results are coming around :)

Giovanni
Posted on 2002-05-06 13:57:21 by sch.jnn
Permission granted ;) Like I said before, the number is the product of two randomly generated strong primes. Good Luck :)
Posted on 2002-05-06 14:26:56 by Tola
sch.jnn,

i have coded, at several years ago, a program that, when you input your day of birth, it give you the exact day you will die. with masm32, of course :tongue:

i, of course, cant even think in publish it, due the havoc it surely would create ;)

i know your dilemma... my advice is to not publish your method, *ever*

the world isnt ready for our codes!

ancev

ps: i guess that you would end doing the same than me, even without that advice
Posted on 2002-05-06 17:18:33 by ancev

No-one of you see the problem from the point view of the one who would like to keep quiet (yet). Is there anyone?

If it's truly done then you're SHOULD publish but you should delay a bit to let people who depend on it time to scramble. BUT aside from that I'd consider it unethical NOT to publish.

You could:

1) Gain credibility on the board by factoring some numbers presented... not the prize ones tho
2) Delay the algorithm pub for a few months. While continuing to present solutions to non-prize numbers presented from various sources.
3) Establish priority & fame by factoring the prize ones. Along with the algo after a few months.
========

I too remain skeptical.
Posted on 2002-05-06 17:20:22 by rafe

sch.jnn,

i have coded, at several years ago, a program that, when you input your day of birth, it give you the exact day you will die. with masm32, of course :tongue:

i, of course, cant even think in publish it, due the havoc it surely would create ;)

i know your dilemma... my advice is to not publish your method, *ever*

the world isnt ready for our codes!

ancev

ps: i guess that you would end doing the same than me, even without that advice

I know that his claims sound like bull**** to you.. I won't argue about that.
I only know that I was in similar positions - and I was right and sincere - till I just *learnt* not to claim what I want to keep as "trade secrets" anyway.
That's simply maturing. When you open your mouth you gotta prove that, simple. Otherwise accept to look like someone who is "spandimerding" (an old demo scene word which means you're claiming false things).
I cover/balance my lack of maturity of not wanting to share the most important things, with my maturity to keep my mouth closed.
But at the end I believe that what has to speak for itself is the final result.. the EXE.
For that one has to be concrete and productive - i.e. not waste his time posting 20 hours a day, but rather code. ;)
Posted on 2002-05-06 18:02:50 by Maverick

If you see *what* happens, you'll solve the number above in, let's say, 1 week just with paper and pencil, as I did. But it took me more than *6 months* to see what happens. Anyway it works with any product of 2 primes.

Programming the algo isn't so easy, though. Maybe I am not that intelligent :)

Giovanni
So, you have solved the RSA-576 primes? We should see proof enough - soon as they make the announcement.
Posted on 2002-05-06 18:04:22 by bitRAKE
sch.jnn,

The answer to this dilemma is too simple!!!,

just win the contest money first!, then decide whether or not to release the procedure....

B
Posted on 2002-05-06 18:18:52 by Brad
How close was I?

I figured this out 2.5 years ago, my maths prof thought it was interesting but not really 'worth it' continuing. The same maths prof who sent me out her class because I was noisy, so I guess that factored in her reaction. :grin: I gave up after that so I never followed it to the logical conclusion (i.e. extending into the binary realms, checking for higher limits, etc.). Besides, something else caught my attention... DES!
Posted on 2002-05-06 19:52:17 by AmkG

How close was I?

I figured this out 2.5 years ago, my maths prof thought it was interesting but not really 'worth it' continuing.

Never trust other people if you are convinced to have discovered something. You're on the right way, and I wish other board members would start to think about it. Ending numbers are essential for this algo, because? Just teasing, go on, please :alright:

If I ever go and show how it works, I'll do it teaching how to, and not showing only how it is possible. I like people who think with their own brain and follow instinctive inputs.

One of the most challenging is the fact there are RSA numbers payed from somebody, and I am sure I won't go for them, otherwise I would have them already. As I told before, I am not a mathematician looking for money, but an out-of-my-brain ASM programmer who is looking for solutions, easy if possibile. Everything which is complicated, is recycled.

But, the sample I am preparing right now, is the RSA-576 challenge, because I want people to follow with interest, and as it looks like, money is the only way to get interesting results and a large distribution of the knowledge. I am actually looking for a good strategy, and it wouldn't be good to keep this knowledge within a small circle of people. Someone would buy them, as soon as it is known to work, and nothing will change.

I wonder if you heared from the DES back door. And what happened? Silence! Would you like to believe RSA is sure for the rest of the time? Yes? No? It seemed to me, your answer's were no.

Yesterday I asked my near friends about, and they went for the money too. They weren't interested into how and what at all. Am I wrong not to run for the money? I don't believe. My life experience tells me it's not worth it.

But let's come back to our problem. It's likely I'll tell how it works if people start to point out what happens doing 17 * 11 by hand. It's a malicious question, too, and maybe you'll find out why. 13 *11 will work, too, but keep it as simple as possible. Don't take 19 * 11, which is too complex :) If you observe something obvious, please tell it. It's the start for going for more interesting numbers ;)

Have fun and try to think easy. No mysterium!

Giovanni

PS: Thanks for your opinions and suggestions, they are always welcome.
Posted on 2002-05-07 02:55:33 by sch.jnn

If it's truly done then you're SHOULD publish but you should delay a bit to let people who depend on it time to scramble. BUT aside from that I'd consider it unethical NOT to publish.

You could:

1) Gain credibility on the board by factoring some numbers presented... not the prize ones tho
2) Delay the algorithm pub for a few months. While continuing to present solutions to non-prize numbers presented from various sources.
3) Establish priority & fame by factoring the prize ones. Along with the algo after a few months.

Factoring some numbers presented are an easy but long task, because I do it all by hand, and verify only with my BCD BN Library. The Tola sample would take me about 60 days (verified yesterday), if I would spend all my free time.

I agree on the delay, also because I need some time for documentation, too. English terms for mathematics are missing from my internal vocabulary, and it's the part I want to learn. It's hard though :)

I started to document the RSA-576 challenge, which is actually the quickest. After having solved this one, somebody will win the run, proud of having found the best solution for an EXE. But before all this happens I must be sure the knowledge has spread enough to avoid "money tampering".

Giovanni
Posted on 2002-05-07 03:13:49 by sch.jnn