As a debugging aide, my program dumps some of its data in a file.

I view this file using QEditor's Load Binary as Hext...

One time, I had several QEditor instances so that I could view several sources at once. I ran the program and I needed to view the data dump. Since I was finished with one of the sources, I used that instance to 'Load Binary as Hext' the data dump. Then, I closed that instance to reduce screen clutter. QEditor then asked me if I wanted to save the file. Since I thought the contents were interesting, I pressed yes. However, QEditor did NOT prompt me about the file to save into. It took me two seconds to realize that QEditor overwrote my source file. And that was the fourth largest source code file....

Oh dear.

(Lucky I had a backup, but it was 2 weeks old...)
Posted on 2002-05-08 00:44:09 by AmkG
Sad to say there is not much I can do about that, Qeditor has all of the normal file confirmations and the range of different usages make it impossible to target one in particular.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-05-08 06:06:42 by hutch--
You might have it make a .bak file of whatever you are replacing when you save something, just like many other editors do?
Posted on 2002-05-08 08:13:35 by _js_

You might have it make a .bak file of whatever you are replacing when you save something, just like many other editors do?

If it had that, I personally wouldn't use that feature because it tends to make more files, more clutter... (sigh) just wanted to share my very sad experience, I've become so paranoid I backup my files on my father's OTHER computers more often now...
Posted on 2002-05-08 23:59:17 by AmkG
Making it optional wouldn't hurt anybody, though.
Posted on 2002-05-09 04:20:51 by Maverick

Making it optional wouldn't hurt anybody, though.

...With the exception of hutch. :tongue:
Posted on 2002-05-09 21:12:07 by CodeLover
One of the virtues of a 25k editor is that is does not do a lot of things that I don't want. If it was 250k, it would be another matter, or a megabyte as some high flying purchase types of editors are so if you need a heap of additional functionality, buy a BIG one that can do multimedia, image data, sound editing, a flight simulator or whatever takes your fancy but Quick Editor will stay within much the same size range as it is now.

UltraEdit
SlickEdit
GatorEdit
YourEdit
MyEdit
AnyEdit
FastEdit
SlowEdit
SlackEdit
CheapEdit
TrashEdit

or if you want a good free reliable editor get PFE from the Simtel site, its about a half a meg in size and is very well written.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-05-10 01:44:26 by hutch--
Oh UltraEdit is sooo awesome! The Full Screen Mode /w Tile Vertical rocks :)
Posted on 2002-05-21 13:25:11 by Jayrome
hutch,

i liked the part about flight simulators. ;)))) (_)]
Posted on 2002-05-21 15:17:52 by ramzez