Hi all,

I have a question about apps running on protected mode. I have read a book about the logical structure of x86 processors running on protected mode. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to get ring 0 access (kernel mode) apart from using gates... I used DOS asm to make a little utility to make low level reads to hard disks and store in a file the raw data of sectors... I included the code into a win32 app and, as expected, Windows did not grant me access and instead displayed a general protection failure message. Do I necesarely have to use API calls to do this? or can I "trick" the kernel so I can use the int instruction?

Cheers,

Droluar
Posted on 2002-05-08 10:32:16 by Droluar
Hey,

OK, I'll PM you some information you can use to do this !! I can't really post the information here, as I'd probabaly get banned for it !!
Posted on 2002-05-08 10:34:24 by Dracton
I appreciatte the help, but, if you can get banned for it... don't worry that much. I do not want you to get into trouble for this. But, if you still wanna help then thank you very much indeed

Droluar
Posted on 2002-05-08 10:37:55 by Droluar
I have shared the information via PM, and so the information isn't public, though, most of the coders on this forum most likely know what I told you anyway.

Many coders learnt there skills the way I have recommend to you :)
Posted on 2002-05-08 10:40:45 by Dracton
It would be best to look into the WinDDK and writeing a device driver if you _really_ don't want to use the OS functions.
Posted on 2002-05-08 10:40:46 by bitRAKE
Dracton: Thank you for your help.
BitRake: I have a book about programming device drivers... yet it is too complex for me to read yet... I need to learn more. Besides I am using Win98 and the book concentrates more on Win2000. (Although aparently Device drivers written for Win2k also work in win98... so I've read). The thing is that I am the nostalgic kind of guy, and I still like the interrupt calls. I have the feeling it gives me more diret contact with the processor than using API calls. Call me stupid (I know it is) but I like the idea of telling the chip directly what to do... and not rely on others code. I know this is VERY STUPID to think, since in the end I will be using someone else's program to compile my asm files... Anyway. I am a weird guy, what can I say?

Droluar
Posted on 2002-05-08 10:57:29 by Droluar
WHAT !!!

Stupid to think, indeed it is not !! I understand you totally. How can we trust Microsnot code when there "code" always crashes !!

I love the approch you've taken to coding, and think it is a greate idea. And coding with INT's does indeed make you feel as though your in control.

When I moved from DOS coding to Windows, I felt as though I lost all the control I had over the CPU and the hardware when I start using API's, just like I did when I started using Visual Basic.
Posted on 2002-05-08 11:20:32 by Dracton
This is very encouraging!!! After all I am not a lonley creature it seems!! Thanx a lot Dracton

Droluar
Posted on 2002-05-08 11:24:55 by Droluar