Hi guys...

Complete newbie to ASM. But I think I'm quite good at Delphi. <bears laughs and ridicule with smile>

OK, OK. So I need to learn a man's language (are there any female ASM coders?? If so, I'm not a sexist pig, honest ;) ). So here I am. Anyway, reason for wanting to learn ASM? I want to write a fast interpreter for an old language. I attempted it in Delphi, but fell when trying to encapsulate interpreted classes. Data parts were fine, but I couldn't figure out how to tie together an instance's methods to its data.

How should I go about trying to create instances of classes and their methods in ASM? I just want an outline - I still can't understand most ASM code, but can write a little.

Lastly, is it foolish to try and use classes within ASM?? i.e. actually create some sort of macro that gives some sort of class capability?? Dunno how, but...

Anyways, thanks for your attention, and help if you leave it.

=\.Lyceus./=
Posted on 2002-05-16 16:29:33 by lyceus
Anything that can be done in a HLL can
be done in ASM.

No it is not silly to do OOP in ASM, some
people on this board are working
on a OOP package.

If you have visual studio you can write
OOP code and, by using debug, view how
the compiler handles it.
Posted on 2002-05-16 17:12:23 by bdjames
there was another poll re:gender. i think there is one female contributer to this forum.
Posted on 2002-05-16 17:44:22 by jademtech
The subject is "yawn" material, someone who cannot write asm at all defining it in the context of Borland Delphi to write code in that interpretive framework.

To answer your question, learn ASM if you have a use for it and try and define classes if you learn enough about it.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-05-16 20:19:28 by hutch--
Lyceus, welcome. One of the greatest things in ASM is that your given very little. So, create some rules and abide by them and call it a class - it's really that simple. Seeing how others do it is a good idea, but rolling your own is what it's all about. And I don't mean to do everything yourself - just choose your ground and stand on it.
Posted on 2002-05-16 21:38:28 by bitRAKE
hey, Lyceus: have you ever watched "a funny thing happened on the way to the forum?" (it's a movie - nothing to do with this messageboard forum)
Posted on 2002-05-16 21:51:01 by jademtech

So, create some rules and abide by them and call it a class - it's really that simple.

He he he that's what I do, and I think that's what most ASM programmers would do if they needed OOP in ASM.

'Course it seems Lyceus is trying to do is to create a program which interprets an OOPL... You need to learn how to handle databases of varying number/size of fields, learn how to link stuff using pointers, and allocate memory (I've never managed to do that last one... never had the chance to do it...). Which you'd need to learn to do in whatever language IMO...
Posted on 2002-05-17 04:20:53 by AmkG
OK, thanks for the welcomes.

I guess that I better start actually writing the code before asking questions, huh? Rather than trying to get y'all to solve my problems for me. *Sorry*. Thanks for the advice though.

Oh, and I haven't watched that movie. What's the relevance?

Thanks guys,

=\.lyceus./=
Posted on 2002-05-17 08:23:37 by lyceus