I'm starting out with ASM and I'm reading a few things that I have found. But one of them keeps talking about how you can use CodeView.

I've been looking for this program to download and haven't been lucky yet. I did a search here and found that 'Ollydbg' is preferred by many ppl.

I will also try Ollydbg but I was wanting to give CodeView a try also...if it is free.

Thanks,
gorshing
Posted on 2002-05-16 17:07:07 by gorshing
If you can still find a Microsoft product that has a codeview debugger, you will still have to buy it and from memory the only Microsoft debugger that can be adapted to MASM code is the one in VC/.NET

I suggest that youy use ollydebug as many like it and say it works well.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-05-16 20:24:01 by hutch--
The retail version of MASM 5 came with Codeview. I don't think you'll be able to find it for free.

You may want to try WINDBG also. Some here don't like it, but it does the job for me. And there's a new version that works under NT/2K/XP. The 9x version is older, and has problems with the symbol files produced by new versions of MASM. But it works well if you keep both the listing and disassem windows open and synced up.

Both are free from Microsoft.

:)
Posted on 2002-05-16 20:41:21 by S/390
I did a google and found this page...

http://www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/~ee212/lab/links.html

It appears to have masm and codeview, if thats what you really want. OllyDebug is better... :)
Posted on 2002-05-17 08:26:57 by emonk
Hi gorshing

Try this link:

Mihov's CodeView:

http://www.mihov.com/eng/cv.html:)
Posted on 2002-05-17 09:14:54 by The SharK
I was able to get the entire MASM 6.11 install (with codeview) from Microsoft for just shipping ($5.00). BUT you must have a copy of VC++. I talked to a few MS reps, and some asked for the product id and some did not.
Check it out (bottom paragraph)
Microsoft MASM 6.11 Offer
-Ionian
Posted on 2002-05-17 09:27:07 by Ionian
(Off topic but...) I just noticed at the site I linked to previously in this thread they have the masm manual's WITH THE PICTURES INTACT! This is the first time I have ever seen this anywhere, and I remmember quite a few people requesting them. So guys, there you go :)
Posted on 2002-05-17 12:11:14 by emonk