Hi,

I have an ISA A/D card that should work under W98 with a VB frontend.
I've never coded under w32 before - I usually write programs for embedded thingies, but in the good old DOS times I also coded in asm32 on x86 platform - with NASM :-/
I think I should write a VxD that performs all I/O and then passes data packages to the VB application via a shared, locked memory region. The VxD should scan the A/D card's analog inputs approx. 100 times/sec on a bare 486DX2-50 :eek:
Is it possible that the VxD collects the needed data and then informs the VB application, in which an event handler does all the processing?
My problem is that I don't know how to start and I've really little time :-/ (6 days for completing both the frontend and the vxd)
What do You think my first steps should be (after reading Iczelion's VxD tutorials:) )?
Thanx,
Gergo
Posted on 2002-05-22 11:28:16 by drojid
why VB?

(sorry if i didn't help u... if i know something i would tell u :))
Posted on 2002-05-24 12:34:14 by coder
Well, as I mentioned, I have very little time...
What choices do I have?

I don't know C++ well enough to safely create an application that is comfortable to use, although C++ would be great choice.

I could use C# that I know better but it needs a lot of extra sw (.NET framework, IE6) and the sw has to run on those small 486s, too..

Asm would be great but I don't need the GUI to be small nor extra fast, but I have to make difficult calculations.

I've chosen VB because I easily can build GUIs in very short time with it and use math functions also easily.
I've built a VB skeleton for the application in a few hours. I don't want to spend more time to learn another develpoment system or language (like Delphi or sg else).

What would be Your way to build such a system in a couple of days?:confused:

Best,
Gergo
Posted on 2002-05-24 13:49:23 by drojid