Hmmm,

I'm trying to do a Flash BIOS updating prog and i don't know how.
I know that to access the CMOS i have to use ports 70 hex (CMOS control/address) and port 71 hex (CMOS data).
So to write to the CMOS i do the following :

mov al,XX ;where XX = byte specifying the address (00h->3Fh)
out 71h,al ;byte in AL goes to location XX in the CMOS RAM

But how do i do that to the BIOS ???????
Posted on 2002-05-24 06:03:04 by ViperV`
well, I agree that it could be interesting to update your BIOS, but isn't it dangerous for the BIOS !!

Well, sorry, I did not help you, sorry...

Maybe you could disassemble a BIOS updater to see how they do, but it might be illegal I think.

Thomas

here you can find the award bios updater: here
and here you can get my bios binary file :here
Posted on 2002-05-24 07:01:46 by Vom-bonjour:-()
And, I've a question to people who knows:

one day, I changed my motherboard, then I plugged the USB connector on the motherboard, but I plugged it not in the right sense. Then I saw it did not work, then I plugged it into the right sense, but now it doesn't want to work.

I know there is a voltage nearly equal to 10 V (maybe i'm wrong) but I may have killed my USB port !!
In fact, I must have definitely killed it. Well if you have answer to that... (and do not forget to answer ViperV 's question !!

Thanks
Thomas
Posted on 2002-05-24 07:05:36 by Vom-bonjour:-()
Vom-*
Do you mean you connected the ports on the case to the headers on the motherboard the wrong way around?
if you didn't connect any devices to the ports then it wouldn't have done any harm.
Even if you did connect a device the voltages are only 5V and the system should recognise an incorrectly attatched/malfunctioning device and deativated the port thus preventing dammage. Is it possibble you've still got the wrong connections to the m'board headers?

If your USB port is giving off 10V then something is definitely wrong though. Did you measure it?

V*V:
I've not got any idea how to go about programming a bios flashing util' anyway I'd only use a util' which came from the m'board manufacturer...
Posted on 2002-05-24 08:07:18 by MArtial_Code
thanks for your reply,

well, I don't really remember if I've already measure it, I will do so...

Do you mean you connected the ports on the case to the headers on the motherboard the wrong way around?

Yeah you're right.

And in fact, I've connected a device when it was connected in the wrong way on the motherboard. I'm pretty sure that it is dammage, because I tried then to connect the device, but it was not detected under Windows anymore.

Yeah the connectors are the rigth ones because it worked before I connected it into the wrong way.

In fact, I don't really know why I connected it in the wrong way on the motherboard since I read the user's manual, maybe I was thinking about something else. (I hadn't drunk neither smoked !! believe me!)
Posted on 2002-05-24 08:43:06 by Vom-bonjour:-()
Pluging chips in the wrong way around can cause problems!

You've got to remember the power pins could be connected to data ports, and they aren't really designed for it! When we got our first wafer back from the fab a couple of months back, one of my managers was fitting the chips to a socketed board so we could run a test suite against them... Put one in rotated 90 degrees by accident, there was a pop, puff of smoke and one less working chip!
Even if it wasn't that spectacular, it will pretty much kill a chip attaching power to a data pin.

Mirno
Posted on 2002-05-24 08:49:38 by Mirno
My girlfriend poured beer in my keyboard. After cleaning it out, one of the USB ports doesn't work - there are two on my keyboard. Luckily I was only using one port for the mouse.
Posted on 2002-05-24 09:02:48 by bitRAKE
What kind of motherboard do you have Vom-bonjour ???
I'm asking you this because the binary file you linked is 128Kb, and i've read some docs about BIOS's and they said that the flash ROM is 8-16Kb.
It also read something about modular BIOS's but i didn't completely understand it.

I hope you realise that i'm really keen of doing this BIOS updating prog. I'm really fascinated by the BIOS.
Posted on 2002-05-24 14:07:16 by ViperV`
For information, how the BIOS flashing is done, check out Uniflash source:

http://www.pppr.sk/rainbow/
Posted on 2002-05-24 14:22:26 by Janne
bitRAKE, really funny your story with your girlfriend !!! it made me laugh a lot !!;)

well, I don't really know how BIOS updates are made, but I'm sure it's mine !!

It is called "S7AX", the constructor is "tCommate" (located in Taiwan) and my processor is a AMD K6/2 (or K6/3 I don't remember:( ) 550 Mhz.

One thing is specific on this motherboard: there are 2 USB ports that don't work anymore !!:mad: :mad: :mad: ;) .

Thanks guys for the quick answers.
Posted on 2002-05-24 15:23:52 by Vom-bonjour:-()

My girlfriend poured beer in my keyboard. After cleaning it out, one of the USB ports doesn't work - there are two on my keyboard. Luckily I was only using one port for the mouse.

was this pouring intentional for spending too much time on the computer? jks :tongue:
Posted on 2002-05-24 17:23:40 by jademtech
jademtech, I was really wondering the same thing myself. She knows better by now though - at the time it happened, I just unplugged the keyboard from the other computer and kept on working. She knows there is only one thing that will pull me aways from the screen. ;)
Posted on 2002-05-24 23:37:13 by bitRAKE