Has anyone ever heard of the #BLOAT metastatement?

B
Posted on 2002-05-25 07:48:26 by Brad
Posted on 2002-05-25 08:16:04 by Brad
I'm also registered user of PowerBASIC. Will buy PB Forms and PB Win7 soon. But I'll want to see some source and examples first =)

Btw, do a

.data
bloat db 1000000000 dup (0)

to get the same :) They all took ideas from ASM... pfffft :grin:
Posted on 2002-05-25 08:27:12 by bazik
Great metastatement huh ?

I have constructed my first 100 megabyte file this way, even though the code was 19k.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com

MACROS are great :)

PS : Eat ya heart out, I am just finishing the PowerBASIC version of Prostart for PBwin 7.00 so that I can play with the new compiler faster.
Posted on 2002-05-25 08:39:14 by hutch--
"......They all took ideas from ASM... ...."

bAZiK,

Of course!!! but you got to admit, for a high-level assembly...it's pretty dam good!!!

PS. I think Hutch invented the #Bloat function for PB

:grin:
Posted on 2002-05-25 08:59:22 by Brad
Hutch,

MACRO's :)

Macro's are the Only thing I ever asked PB to add....

:grin:
Posted on 2002-05-25 09:02:35 by Brad
Visual basic has the bloat option enabled by default, and it's even a smarter version than in PB, as it also adds bloat inside your code so it will run slower :grin:

Thomas
Posted on 2002-05-25 09:13:35 by Thomas
$BLOAT macro val:REQ

_DATA segment
db val DUP(0)
_DATA ends
ENDM

$SLOTH macro val:REQ
pushfd
push eax
xor eax,eax
inc eax
push edx
xor edx,edx
REPEAT val
div eax
ENDM
pop edx
pop eax
popfd
ENDM
It's left as an exercise for the reader to find the values to these macros that exhibit the same size/timings as the HLL compilers that others in the office are using. :grin:
Posted on 2002-05-25 09:16:21 by bitRAKE

_DATA segment
db val DUP(0)
_DATA ends
ENDM

the actual #BLOAT directive puts random stuff in, making it unrecognisably artificial, does it not?
Posted on 2002-05-25 16:24:46 by jademtech

the actual #BLOAT directive puts random stuff in, making it unrecognisably artificial, does it not?
I don't own Power BASIC.
Then just write a random number
generator in MASM macro syntax.
RANDOM macro

LOCAL num
;; you favorite random number algo here...
EXITM %num
ENDM

_DATA segment
REPEAT val
db RANDOM AND 255
ENDM
_DATA ends
ENDM
Posted on 2002-05-25 16:46:34 by bitRAKE
despite the rumors and tabloid reports, this command and I are not related. :)
Posted on 2002-05-25 16:58:41 by Sloat
LOL!!! :grin: :grin: :grin:
Posted on 2002-05-25 17:14:02 by bazik
bAZiK cool avart
:) :) :grin: :) :)
Posted on 2002-05-25 20:16:57 by NEMO

I don't own Power BASIC.

neither do i :) i just saw one of hutch--'s posts saying that you couldn't tell that it was just stuff appended.
Posted on 2002-05-25 22:45:03 by jademtech
Being on PowerBASIC's beta team for a long time gave me a useful insight into how it works and how its written and it has been very interesting to see this stuff being developed.

I think it was one of Bob Zale's pieces of "genius" to make the #BLOAT metastatement so that a prospective customer at least has the feel that he/she bought something when the product fits on a CD where small code can tend to look like there is not much of it there.

(Bob Zale is the author of the PowerBASIC compilers and must be the only person left on the planet with the talent to write a successful commercial compiler in 100% assembler)

Another one of the team and also PowerBASIC staff is Tom Hanlin III who was writing excellent libraries for many different basic compilers back in the early nineties so collectively the PowerBASIC team has a lot of talent available.

I am still setting up the new version and I am very pleased with the performance and capacity of this new version, lots of nice toys to play with and you can still write no b*llsh*t API/ASM code with it. I have an upgraded version of Prostart for PowerBASIC going that uses the new macro capacity and a few of the newer commands and the performance is vry good.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-05-26 03:40:59 by hutch--
Damn it, looks like a PowerBasic cult over there :eek: I think i am gonna dive back into my nice safe warm VB forum now....
Posted on 2002-05-26 17:20:36 by sluggy

and must be the only person left on the planet with the talent to write a successful commercial compiler in 100% assembler

Probably just the only guy crazy enough to do it ;) - there's still lots of talented people around.
Posted on 2002-08-13 12:47:57 by f0dder