I'm using VC7 as my assembly IDE, but I've had the same 'problem' in VC6.

In some of my projects, when debugging and I hit a breakpoint, it will stop on the wrong line. ie:

O xor eax,eax
> ret

O is the breakpoint > is the instruction pointer. I can work with it doing stuff like this, but it would be nice if it could be fixed.

Next, I've tried OllyDebug, and I think it has one feature that VC does not have. A stack window. Yes VC has memory windows(multiple in VC7) and watches(seperate windows in VC7). Is there some option I'm missing for a 'stack-window'? A window offest like esp-32 to to esp+32 or something. Or do you have a special technique for this?(in VC7, since I have multiple memory windows, I can kinda do this, but must adjust the window myself is the esp changes greatly.)

Thanks.
Posted on 2002-05-27 11:26:24 by ThoughtCriminal
There is a way to set VC up with a stack like window, but I don't recall. Has anyone seen info on programming the VC7 IDE for a new language? M$ wants a ton of cash for the VC7 SDK. I think it would be cool to add editor support for MASM as another langauge. :)

http://msdnisv.microsoft.com/msdnisv/vsip/
Posted on 2002-05-27 12:50:21 by bitRAKE
When debugging my C/C++ apps, I have a call stack by default -
dunno if there's a generic "stack view" though. Haven't really need it.
Posted on 2002-05-27 12:57:25 by f0dder
BitRake,

I've looked into the VSIP program already because I wanted to create a MASM converter for VS.NET... that would be cool... to hav a MASM-like syntax but instead compiles against the CLR.

The problem is that you have to license it for $10,000 a year for 3 years ($30k -- upfront) and then pay royalties on each distribution for the SDK they give you to integrate things into the IDE. Add-ins aren't the same as integration.

If someone on this board was kind enough to fork up the cash, they would have to charge for it. The cheapest .NET integrated product I've seen was $295 and most are greatly more expensive. I don't know what the royalties are, whether it's fixed or dynamic.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-05-27 15:54:45 by _Shawn
_Shawn, that is what I meant by "M$ wants a ton of cash." :) This cash cap means I have to look for the unofficial docs, and give away the tool or keep it for myself. I wasn't interested so much in producing IR code from MASM syntax (although that would be awesome by itself), but full MASM support from VS.NET - instead of having to inline asm. Thank you.
Posted on 2002-05-27 19:06:22 by bitRAKE
f0dder, I'll check what call stack does. Maybe it is close to what I want.

bitRAKE, I'd pay 100$+ for a VC7 based assembly IDE.

I like VC editor and debugger in one.

For assembly VC is missing syntax-highlighting and maybe a stack window. You can use assembly fine with VC, using the IDE SDK. It would offer mostly funtional and workflow improvments. Maybe some more assembly-specific bells and whistles.

Thanks.
Posted on 2002-05-28 02:02:50 by ThoughtCriminal

(1) Bring up a memory window. Ctrl-Alt-M, then 1, 2, 3, or 4.
(2) Put the expression in the box.
(3) Right click the data area and enable "Reevaluate Automatically".

So if you use esp-16 and center that address in the memory window, use can monitor both side of the stack at once. As the esp changes so will the memory window. Any pointer expression should work.
Posted on 2002-05-28 14:25:18 by ThoughtCriminal
ThoughtCriminal, what is with the monkey? Looks like he has had too much coffee?
Posted on 2002-05-28 14:32:46 by bitRAKE
It an Avatar I ripped from somewhere, the file title is "evilmonkey.gif". But yes, maybe it is too much coffee.
Posted on 2002-05-28 22:37:36 by ThoughtCriminal