hello, i was wondering if there are any good books i should buy to learn asm(masm)? or what would be the best way to learn?
Posted on 2001-08-10 23:00:23 by newtoasm
Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself? Are you new to programming? What languages are you comfortable with? I'm assuming that you want to program for windows. If your new to programming windows then there are really two parts to this question: learning assembly and learning windows APIs. I think windows is easier to learn from a high-level language, unless you already know assembly well. Some people think that assembly is not a beginner language - my experience is that I did a little BASIC and Pascal then quickly stuck to assembly.

As to material: There aren't any windows assembly books that I know of. The online tutorials are a good place to start. (click me)

Welcome! :alright:
Posted on 2001-08-10 23:19:17 by bitRAKE
the current language that im confortable with is Delphi, but i would like to do windows programming in asm though.
Posted on 2001-08-11 00:00:30 by newtoasm
I'ld say the first thing you need to learn is the architecture of the x86 processors. The "Art of Assembly" is pretty good, as are the programmer reference manuals from Intel. I like the 386 manual from Intel for starters. It's the minimum CPU needed for 32-bit support, and it is "less complex" than today's CPUs, so easier for beginners to learn, IMHO. You can always read about things like how to optimize for the Pentium later. :)

Both of these do cover some topics, like segmentation, that don't really apply to 32-bit programming, but they're still good to know. But they do cover things like addressing modes, that are very important to know. Obviously, they both give you a detailed reference to the basic instruction set.

And as bitRAKE said, you need an API reference. WIN32.HLP is OK for starters. MSDN is THE on-line site for up-to-date info on the API.

And I hope you already have hutch's MASM32 package. It contains everything you need to assemble your first program. :grin:
Posted on 2001-08-11 00:37:39 by S/390
Personally, I started with Randall Hyde's Art of Assembly. It gets a little confusing in places, but myself having only known Visual Basic when i started, I found it actually explained a lot of things very well. I've also been curious about poking around with his HLA program, but haven't really had the time. Anyone have any opinions about this?

Anyway, back to the book thing, after I had a good grasp of the basics of the language, I read through some of Iczelion's tutorials which helped me a lot with windows programs. These were also very easy to understand after reading AOA.

Good luck, I wish you well on your quest of learning.
Posted on 2001-08-11 02:09:50 by mc`