This project is on the back burner, just an idea that I've been throwing around. I've seen some php and vb examples that allowed the sending of sms messages to pagers/cells.

I really don't want to read through and decipher any vb or php source, and was wondering if anyone had any really general info about how I could go about tackling sms paging using masm. The googling that I've done hasn't really turned up anything too useful. Are there ready made libraries for sms paging? ...or can it be done with tapi or wapi or some other api?

I would assume that if I can manually dial a pager and leave a numeric message (and there might be a way to do alpha messages using a telephone keypad....I just don't know how to do it), then it could be done via a voice modem right? The examples that I mentioned above used free web based sms paging systems that were all in Europe, but I'd rather not go about it by accessing a web based system. It'd be great if it could be done by dialing the pager directly.

Any ideas/hints/links/general info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Posted on 2002-05-29 11:40:32 by Will
Cool!

I found an sms example on Iczelion's site (on the 2nd page of the source code section), but the comments are in a language that my system doesn't support and I don't fully understand the concept. Apparently it just uses winsock and you're supposed to put in a smtp server address. So it just sends the page as an email to a smtp server which then sends the sms page to your pager? Also, it states that it only works on win9x/me systems but I don't see anything that would prohibit this from working on winnt/2000 (which I'm using).

Has anyone else played with this example at all?
Posted on 2002-05-29 12:24:14 by Will
I once wrote an asm program that sends an SMS to my mobile, it used some website offering free SMS. The website died (as I expected) and most providers in the Netherlands can't receive SMS sent via the internet anymore (due to the heavy load) so I don't really use it anymore (I wrote it for fun anyway).

Thomas
Posted on 2002-05-29 13:30:51 by Thomas
Right, that sounds like the vb source code that I found. When the web based service provider quits, your program's no good.
Posted on 2002-05-29 13:52:54 by Will

Right, that sounds like the vb source code that I found. When the web based service provider quits, your program's no good.

I hope this is not waaaay off topic, but I have a sms portal, currently can support about 4000 messages an hour

Still setting it up, and playing with the site, but if you guys want i can maybe organize some credits - i have to pay for them myself, so cant give too many.

I am currently busy with the client app (written in asm of course) to talk to the server to send messages. I think the price per message works out to about $ 0.025 or so

That is what it costs me to send anyway, average time from web page to the recipient is approx 5 second - very proud of this :-)

can also send business cards but i havent finished the web front end yet - after all it is just a fun thing for me to try.
Posted on 2002-06-05 13:31:53 by Terab
Get the SMS plugin from Miranda at -> miranda-icq.sf.net. It's open source and written in C++ (look under PLUGINS). It uses Winsock, too and sends SMS via the ICQ Network (wich is free :) )
Posted on 2002-06-05 13:36:24 by bazik

Get the SMS plugin from Miranda at -> miranda-icq.sf.net. It's open source and written in C++ (look under PLUGINS). It uses Winsock, too and sends SMS via the ICQ Network (wich is free :) )

Thanks I did not know of the plugin, will be nice for web stuff, but a lot of the stuff on the server requires immediate sending with priority and it uses PDU's not straight text. So for now i'll just keep on sending myself, nice thing is i can receive messages too, and have email alerts etc

been fun writing the code for it
Posted on 2002-06-05 13:47:12 by Terab
That sounds good Terab!

I read about that icq plugin somewhere but the admins where I work have blocked icq access so I can't go that route. Basically I work in telecom and have a couple programs which grab the status of a few pbx's and I'd like to set them up to run every hour or so and then page me if there's a problem. My pager has been passed around amongst previous employees before finding its way onto my belt clip and I work on my own for the most part and haven't had time to check with my boss to ask who I need to talk to set up an account with Verizon for sms paging.

The guy who wrote that example on Icz's site emailed me back and explained everything. Basically his program just sends a smtp mail to some server which then sends the sms message to the pager or cell. It sounds pretty simple, especially for my purposes since everything will be hard coded and I don't have to make it flexible at all. The only problem is that I don't have access to any account of a sms gateway to send the mail pages to to get them forwarded to my pager. :( And I doubt that my cheap company will want to spend much money to buy credits at any of the pay-per-sms sites.

But your solution sounds great Terab, and it's got the added benefit of supporting an asm coder instead of just giving money to Verizon (which I'm less than fond of). So by all means post more news about your sms portal. It is in no way off-topic!
Posted on 2002-06-06 16:13:32 by Will

That sounds good Terab!

I read about that icq plugin somewhere but the admins where I work have blocked icq access so I can't go that route. Basically I work in telecom and have a couple programs which grab the status of a few pbx's and I'd like to set them up to run every hour or so and then page me if there's a problem.

<other deleted>

). So by all means post more news about your sms portal. It is in no way off-topic!

The chances are that if they have blocked ICQ access then you are going through a proxy server? or maybe blocked the port on the router.
I am still busy on the client app, adding proxy support etc - been slow in coming as i'm busy on 3 large systems at the moment...

One of the original ideas for the server was to monitor other servers for people and send them a message if something went wrong. I then expanded it for email alerts etc.

I have a test page up at the moment - pretty crappy interface but then I'm not much of a designer (graphical ability of a small snail - i.e. not much :-)

I will PM you an account name and password with a few credits in it if you would like to test. Please keep in mind it is still in test mode and not running on all my servers / message senders, and is shut down on regular intervals for upgrades etc

Funny you should mention pbx's - the first generation of this program used to connect to premicell devices - like the nokia premicell / ericson / wasp / falcom / siemens combiset etc etc etc and send messages over them.

worked well but the variances in the different units made it hard to handle them all properly, and some test users just didnt get the fact that the messages wouldnt send while a voice call was in progress (except on certain units) and kept on blaming the software.

Eventually i decided it was just too hard to support - software alone is ok , but linked to hardware too many things can be unplugged :-)
Posted on 2002-06-06 16:59:35 by Terab
forgot the address of the temp server:

http://www.popme.info/quicksms.asp

not much works on the site but try it anyway
Posted on 2002-06-06 17:16:11 by Terab
Great, and thanks! I'll give it a try.

Damn, I can't seem to find the right international format. I thought that for the US, it was just 1+area code+prefix+last four but you mention 44 and I can't seem to get it to work in any combination that I've tried.

Ah well, I'll keep googling and maybe I'll stumble across the right sequence of numbers.
Posted on 2002-06-06 17:45:03 by Will
I'm not sure how the us works, for a uk number eg 084 xxx xxxx or something you would drop the first 0 and +44 84 xxx xxxx

remember the + in fron it is important

then drop the first 0 from your cell number

usa is +1 then your cell number

hope this helps - but let me know if it still doesnt work
Posted on 2002-06-06 17:49:30 by Terab
just checked the logs

drop the 44 from the number leave in the +1 (i wont post the rest of your number here :-)
Posted on 2002-06-06 18:00:15 by Terab
Terab,
if they blocked ICQ access, thats not a big problem.
You can connect to login.icq.com, icq.mirabillis.com, icq2.mirabillis.com and a few other server on nearly *any* port you wish.
And what you said about the number is correct. Example:

You want to send a SMS to the number 0170-1234567. This is a German number, so you need to send the following string:

+[area code][prefix - leading 0][number]

Area code for Germany is 49 so the number would be

+491701234567
Posted on 2002-06-07 00:50:55 by bazik
this is to Will - i cant PM you your mailbox is full

Will wrote on June 7th, 2002 05:00 PM:
Apparently that "+" was the problem. I didn't think you meant to literally put the "+" in there. I thought you just meant "44" plus the number.

I just tried again without the 44 like you said and the page said that the message is being sent. I've waited around 4 minutes but I don't think it went through. But I'll keep trying.

at the moment it only performs a very basic check on the number and then says 'message is being sent' it then passes to a program running on the server that does the actualy message dispatching - i tried to send to you number from here , and the network reckons it got send but oviously not.

Do you have a cell phone or a pager? i have tested across the UK and here and works ok, maybe the states is different?

but then again GSM should be GSM the world over - although i have noticed some different interpretations by the manufacturers

will look into it a bit more this weekend
Posted on 2002-06-07 10:10:46 by Terab
Thanks, I'll empty it. That's odd though since I think I only have 5 or 6 messages.

In answer to your question though, I'm trying to send a message to a pager. Maybe there's still a problem with the number. I'll check into it a bit more.
Posted on 2002-06-07 10:26:35 by Will
could be a problem sending to the pager - i am using PDU's and not text - maybe it cant decode them (i.e. that part of gsm spec is not implemented in you pager) a lot of the gsm specs are marked 'optional' for equipment providers

about the PM thing , i had about 4 in mine last night and it said it was full
Posted on 2002-06-07 10:29:42 by Terab
Will i just sent a text message to you - did you get it?

The local gsm network tells me it received the message from me, but i am not getting any delivery confirmation to your cell/pager?
Posted on 2002-06-07 10:39:01 by Terab
Sorry for the late reply. Last week I moved my home pc's into another room and I haven't made a cable yet that's long enough to reach to the nearest phone jack.

But I never received any message Terab. I don't know about all that gsm stuff, or much about wireless technology for the most part, but I do get alpha-numeric spam messages (horoscope, sports updates, etc) so I know that my pager is capable of receiving them.
Posted on 2002-06-10 08:59:25 by Will
Afternoon, All.

<off topic>
AFAIK, the mailbox defaults to holding up to 10 messages. This number includes received as well as sent messages.

So if you've run out of space, don't forget to delete some of the sent messages as well :alright: .
</off topic>

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2002-06-10 20:26:38 by Scronty