do anyone know any way to get a unique information about a CD ?? like brand , speed it was written with .. etc ??
Posted on 2002-06-03 10:15:50 by Sa6ry
damn wrong answer ... delete me
Posted on 2002-06-04 04:44:00 by Allanon
Hi Sa6ry,

there are several information you can use to distinguish CD-ROM/R/RW but there is no "global unique identifier".

So it depends on what you are trying to do ..

1. you can get information from an image on a CD. The image doesn't only describe the files and directories. f.e. It's quite easy to detect which application created the image. There are official fields to do this and some not official described ones.

2. you can get various informations from the CD itself. f.e. bar code if exists, disc identification if exists and many more. Putting all of these information together tehre is maybe a chance to have a "unique" identifier.

where to start?

check ISO 9660 (Joliet) specificationat http://www.ecma.ch
check SCSI/MMc standars at http://www.t10.org

Bye Miracle
Posted on 2002-06-05 04:05:58 by miracle
how can winamp or mediaplayer get informations from cddb
if there's no standard for a unique identifier or do music-cd's
have something like this and normal cd's do not?
Posted on 2002-06-05 05:57:05 by mob
There is a file on each music CD, wich contains the CDDB entry number of the CD. If you do a 1to1 copy, the file will be copied, too. So no uniqueness here :rolleyes:
Posted on 2002-06-05 06:17:12 by bazik
okay but than the possibilty for a completly unique cd-id
is NULL because you can make 1-1 copies on data-cd too.
Posted on 2002-06-05 06:20:23 by mob

okay but than the possibilty for a completly unique cd-id
is NULL because you can make 1-1 copies on data-cd too.

It is, yes. The only thing, you *could* do, is to modify the data on each CD. Like a special ID file... or burn it with a boot sector wich contains your "unique" data.
Posted on 2002-06-05 06:44:56 by bazik

It is, yes. The only thing, you *could* do, is to modify the data on each CD. Like a special ID file... or burn it with a boot sector wich contains your "unique" data.

sorry , but what u meant by burning it with a boot sector which contains your "unique" data ? i don't understand :(
how can i make this. on the harddisk for example ?

if i made it this way , this mean this file is hidden ??
Posted on 2002-06-05 11:28:08 by Sa6ry
Ok, from what im gathering, two things have happened here:

1) We are now off topic from the original request.
2) Its moving slightly towards music piracy, which makes me unconfortable to let slide any further. Copying a music cd and modifying its "ID" does not sound like the standard ~ "just backing up my music, incase..... " story if you get my drift. Can we keep this conversation back on track please...

Thanx..
NaN
Posted on 2002-06-05 14:14:25 by NaN
Hi,

Sa6ry:

Bazik means that you can create the image on the CD by youself. That way you'll be able to add additional information on it. On every Data-CD files and directories are stored in an image. It reflects the filesystem used on the CD (ISO, Joliet, HFS ...)

correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that sa6ry tries to copyprotect it's own CD.

Regarding adding additional informations on the image you can even put some blocks between the Volume Descriptors and Path Table Records. An application can now easily check wheter or not this block exists at CD. But what happens if a user uses a 1to1 bit copier application? The copied image looks exactly like your own one I promise. Even blocks in the boot area and between elsewhere would be copied. So I'd say creating a "modified" image is not a proper solution.

The only way to get "interesting information" may be the
- barcode if exists (but many drives can't read them)
- disc identification if exists (if it exists)
- the OPC area (but how to read)
- the manufacturer ID of the CD (but how to get?)

Bye Miracle
Posted on 2002-06-06 03:28:08 by miracle
thanks all,

thanks miracle,

btw their is a product in the market claim they even protect the cd from 1-to-1 copy

i am reading in their site now.

the url is

www.macrovision.com/solutions/software/cdrom/pccdrom/index.php3
Posted on 2002-06-06 07:33:21 by Sa6ry
From their website:

The digital signature is very difficult to copy, hence making copies useless.

Note the wording: very difficult. It's not impossible, but perhaps difficult.

Anywho, this whole idea depends on implementation. Suffice to say that Safedisc is close to dead, if not in fact dead (which, interestingly, doesn't keep software producers from using it .... too bad really, waste of money). Using a unique identifier for copy-protection has been done many times before, and has been busted even more times. I wouldn't bother trying anything in that direction if I was you, would probably take you longer to create something, than it would take for others to take it apart.

Fake
Posted on 2002-06-06 09:54:45 by Fake51