Hello - I'm trying to include 4k of binary data into my
masm32 executable. Maybe I'm not doing it right?

declaration in resource file:
JISFONT BINARY "vga8x16"

program fragment:
szText ResType, "BINARY"
invoke FindResource, hInst, JISFONT, ADDR ResType
invoke LoadResource, hInst, eax
mov hRSrc, eax
invoke LockResource, hRSrc
mov WCharBMP.bmBits, eax

In the last line I assume that eax has the address of the
resource in memory. WCharBMP is a bitmap structure that has been previously setup correctly (tested).

Can anyone spot the error? I'm a bit at a loss here...
Posted on 2001-08-12 06:00:21 by michaelm
I am not at 100% sure, but I think you should use RAWDATA in your resource file. Only that is imported As Is. BINARY is not!
Posted on 2001-08-12 06:11:30 by sch.jnn
try the type RCDATA in your resource file...

NOP-erator
Posted on 2001-08-12 09:20:28 by NOP-erator
If your not too sure how to use RCDATA, I have posted a discusion of how to use it to decompress binary data stored in RCDATA to disk. (Using Jeremy Collake's MASM
compression libraries)

Its a short discussion, read it over if you think it will help... your purpose is a bit different, but the method of using RCDATA isnt.

NaN's Web Site

Hope it helps...

NaN
Posted on 2001-08-12 10:16:43 by NaN

try the type RCDATA in your resource file...

NOP-erator

Thanks to all who replied! It works when using RCDATA as the resource type. RAWDATA for some reason didn't do it. Thanks a lot NaN for the pointer to your site!

Can someone make a comment on the difference between RCDATA, BINARY and RAWDATA?
Posted on 2001-08-12 10:33:16 by MichaelM
I was about to let this one slide untill the question popped into my head "what the hell is RAWDATA anyways?".

So i decided to hit the MSDN... no luck on the topic.. only a switch for DUMPBIN.exe....

Then i consulted your code posted at the top, and looked up FindResource in my API reference (found on my web-page in the help group..) While is says what your doing is ok.. (i think ~ the lack of extension in vga8x16 got me wondering...), I suggests common resouce types "RT_*" to use instead of your string "binary".

Out of all the predefined types to choose from, nowhere is the type RAWDATA. There is a RT_RCDATA which is defined to be "raw data" there is no "RT_RAWDATA".

Im starting to think its not an actual type... As well, you mentioned it was to store a bitmap image, so i sould point out there is a RT_BITMAP type..

Im currious where you got the idea to use RAWDATA from?

NaN
Posted on 2001-08-12 21:01:41 by NaN
I am sorry for that RAWDATA "bug". It came from another RC compiler. The right one is:

raw-data

Specifies raw data consisting of one or more integers or strings of characters. Integers can be specified in decimal, octal, or hexadecimal format. RC does not automatically append a terminating null character to a string. The string is a sequence of the specified ANSI (byte) characters unless explicitly qualified as a wide-character string with the L prefix. Strings in all resources other than RCDATA and user-defined resources are Unicode strings.
The block of data begins on a DWORD boundary and RC performs no padding or alignment of data within the raw-data block. It is the programmer's responsibility to ensure the proper alignment of data within the block.

Example

The following example demonstrates the use of the RCDATA statement:

resname RCDATA
BEGIN
L"Here is a Unicode string\0", /* A Unicode string. Note: explicitly
null-terminated */
1024, /* int */
0x029a, /* hex int */
0o733, /* octal int */
"\07" /* octal byte */
END
Posted on 2001-08-14 14:13:01 by sch.jnn