Hi.
I was wondering whether professional games support variable widths of objects? i know how to implement variable heights, but variable widths is a bit complicated. if i wanted to implement variable widths, i'd have to change my drawing method.

atm i use this one:
Start at the topmost tile (0, 0), draw all layers of this tile, go to the next tile (1, 0), draw all layers of this tile, go to the next tile (0, 1) draw all layers of this tile, and so on...

But there's alos this one:
Draw layer 1 for all tiles (starting at the topmost tile and going down like above....), then draw layer 2 for all tiles, then layer 3 and so on...

I think that the first method is faster and since there are a lot of tiles that don't use all layers, it's even more faster i think. Or is the second method just as fast as the first one?
But if i use the first method, i get problems with variable widths because those objects will be partially overdrawn.

So what do professional games do? don't even bother using variable widths and use the faster method or use the slower method and be able to use variable widths?
Posted on 2002-06-09 07:37:17 by darester
We make bigger isometric objects by tileing many smaller ones .

So break wide objects into many smal 1 tile ones.

At least for the map editor that is what we do for bigger mountains
Posted on 2002-06-10 08:36:37 by BogdanOntanu