OK, I have thoroughly trashed my brain seeking the answer.
Doesn't anyone know how to use hardware interrupts in win32 assembly?

I have written a vxd, tested vcomm, and virtualizing until I think I am becoming transparent myself now, gave writing over the IDT (great black screen) and read until my eyes have bled.

All I want to do is control the serial port myself, interrupt included. You really wouldn't think I would have to bleed my first born to do this.
Posted on 2002-06-10 11:52:58 by sceptor
Not one pittance of advice. Man thats a shame considering the amount of experts here.
Posted on 2002-06-11 12:30:51 by sceptor
So, you have the DDK and have looked through the examples?
Posted on 2002-06-11 12:54:20 by bitRAKE
Yes to both questions. Like I said I have read until my eyes feel like they are bleeding.

Short of installing a Port Driver to replace everything windows does I cant find a way, the example replaces all ports in it. From what I can tell, I would have to do the same thing. I just cant believe that it has to go to that extreme to use the serial port. Surely the Modem card folks dont have to handle interrupts for all ports on the PC.

I would readily change the IDT to point to my interrupt handler in the VxD, but I can't find anywhere the exact offset in the IDT the entry for IRQ4 is.

Such a mass of confusion my mind is from all of this LOL.
Posted on 2002-06-11 19:17:26 by sceptor
you may want to try directx. it will allow direct access to ports in asembly even though it has built in code to do port access. until win 98 you can acces in dos box with normal commands. of course c++ and vb all have ways of doing these things. I am currently looking for a win32 asembly answer.
good luck
dhicks
Posted on 2003-06-15 21:30:13 by dhicks586
IRQs in Win9x are remapped to ints 50-5F, so IRQ4 is int 54h (*8 = offset in IDT :-))
But accessing IDT directly isnt a good idea, even in Win9x, because each VM gets its own IDT.
Posted on 2003-06-16 01:55:54 by japheth
on site bizarrecreations.webjump.com I got a file called commterm, that has assembly and exe for a win 98 up terminal program that our win32assembly will recombile. I do not remember where I got it and it has no info that says not to reuse. If you have problems finding it let me know and I will send my copy. It has enough in it to give you basic control of a modem and send you in the right direction for rest. It must be the first and only access to port you set. I want to thank them for a well written example for the rest of us are lost in side issues.

dale
Posted on 2003-06-22 21:58:06 by dhicks586
My firewall blocks "www.bizarrecreations.webjump.com" must be mostly ads or something or they are trying to extract info from my machine. My firewall is blocking a java script from megago.com and the page doesn't open because of a re-direct. Is there another place to get it ?
Posted on 2003-06-22 22:09:43 by donkey
mabye just close ur firewall ? heheheheheheh
Posted on 2003-06-23 16:08:35 by wizzra
I can post this to the board if needed.
I'll host it for the life of the thread, i assume an altered version will appear
as this thread continues.

CommTerm on my server

I am just interested to see what someone does with this.

RobotBob
Posted on 2003-06-23 16:57:12 by RobotBob

mabye just close ur firewall ? heheheheheheh

Yeah like that's ever going to happen :rolleyes:
Posted on 2003-06-23 17:22:52 by donkey