Hi All... Where to start ???

I've been programming for about 20 odd years (started with a microbee/4k/2 colors). Way back then there was only assembler. Over the years I've worked throught the standard path ie asm, pascal, c, c++ blah blah.
Over the last couple of years, code size (and hence execution speed) has ballooned ( got slower) and I keep finding myself
staring at the wall saying "i should learn assembler again", that would make this code kick butt.
I think I said it once to often, Thats why I'm here. I downloaded masm/tasm/nasm/spasm/hla/NoGoa/ and every other 'asm' I could find ( alot more than their used to be ). I've been at for a week or so now and am having a ball. Feels just like coding used to be when we were newbies. Power / Speed and the most wicked craches (I'm back for good).
One other thing I'd like to say ( I hope you dont mind me waffling, I had to get this lot of my chest).

It took me a while to stop thinking at such a high level (hi for C anyway). I've spent so many years learning new 'Higher' ways of doing things, I found it extreemly painful at first, but it didn't take long for the old ways to return. Higher level languages are supposed to make things simpler. As I look back (now I've met my old friend asm again) things didn't really get easier at all. New syntax, ansi commitee decisions, templates etc etc just keep adding to the complexity and just gave more things to take into account, not less.

Well anyway, I had to say my bit, and I had to say hello. I'm here to stay. Please excuse me now for the miriad foolish questions you all get, but tough, I want to master asm this time round, and I will......

Simon... :cool:
Posted on 2002-06-15 02:01:00 by Kremen
Welcome on board Simon, you will find this new 32 bit assembler a genuine joy to write after years of shovelling through the puke around at the moment and its far more powerful than the older assemblers, more instructions, about 11000 API functions and very grunty results when you get it going.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-06-15 02:08:06 by hutch--
Welcome to our board, Simon!

Posted on 2002-06-15 03:56:03 by bazik
Hey Hutch, fellow Aussie I see. Sydney was where i grew up. ( I'm country boy now - kids and all that).

I must say your MASM pack saved me a heap of trouble. 30 mins and I had wriiten my first Win32 prog in assembler all on my own (almost - didn't copy/paste).
I recomment it to every one to get a start. Even if they dont intend to stay with it, it saves a LOT of farting around.
It seems the optimizing underground never went away at all. (it was me who drifted off).
I'd like to find some tutes/books on assembler that dont involve just calling API functions. I do that all day in C and want to start replacing my C and C++ libs with tiny sizzling asm morsals. I find the cycle stealing, byte grabbing, hard core coder thing very appealing (i think i'm having a mid code crisis).
My shift ends in 45 mins. 12 hrs is a long time.

Simon...
Posted on 2002-06-15 04:16:02 by Kremen
Good to see another old-timer on board. Lots of us here. I've been at it for 30+ years. And assembly is also my favorite, both mainframe and micro flavors. :)
Posted on 2002-06-15 05:04:54 by S/390
Simon,

I would be much like you in that I class API coding as operating system hack code to get the basic functionality going and I see the real action in algorithm coding where you can get good performance gains once you get it right.

The Intel manuals are worth having as it gives you an exhaustive set of mnemonics to work with, good architecture overview, odds and ends of code etc ...

http://developer.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/manuals/

There is a PIV set as well.

You will already have Agner Fog's optimisation manual which is the best on the planet which is in MASM32. There are a number of sites worth attacking for example code,

http://www.crahkob.com/td/

Test Departments site. Get his full set of examples as they are very well written.

I am not up to date on all the others but there is a lot of stuff around and also it is worth keeping an eye on the algo section here as some of the young guys post some very good code there.

You will already have all the API reference that you need.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-06-15 07:21:39 by hutch--
Bazik,

I have hit the big time twice in the same century.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-06-15 07:28:10 by hutch--
Off topic, but does anyone live in/around Brisbane, QLD?
Posted on 2002-06-15 07:34:14 by jademtech
Hi

what's is the number 1337 meaning???

Const.Ex
:stupid:
Posted on 2002-06-15 07:40:41 by Const.Ex
1337 translates to LEET which in turn translates into elite.

What I'd rather like to know is, what does IIRC stand for? I see it all the time... dunno what it means...
--Chorus
:stupid:
Posted on 2002-06-15 07:58:26 by chorus
iirc = if I remember/recall correctly
Posted on 2002-06-15 08:00:55 by f0dder