on the internet there are alot of nice grafical fonts to download, i would like to use some of those fonts in my program and now i wonder how to do this.

is there api that can handle bitmap font sheet or similar or do i have to make everything on my own?

any help on this subject is welcome ;)

i hope others have done this before so im not the first to have this idea
Posted on 2002-06-18 21:37:16 by Noobe
graphical fonts are normally also vector based, so you can simply use them with CreateFont and DrawText (single chars).

If you need direct access to the bitmaps you can use GetGlyphOutline, which renders a given char into a bitmap.
Posted on 2002-06-19 04:31:43 by beaster
how do you mean vector based? this i dont understand

GetGlyphOutline - i looked this up in the w32 api file i have but sadly i cant understand it. its used to load the correct bitmap for the letter 'A' for example ?
Posted on 2002-06-19 08:03:22 by Noobe
basically there are two kinds of fonts:

Bitmap fonts (*.fnt) ... come from Win3.11 times and have a small
bitmap for each letter. Scaling to another size is possible only with
major quality problems. This fonts are used not more, only for some windows internal stuff, e.g. the "MS Sans Serif" font for GUI which is used only at a fixed size.

Vector fonts (*.ttf) ... a development of APPLE and MS (TrueType). Each letter (better: glyph) consists of a number of geometric data, like splines. This forms are rendered - meaning drawing all lines and fill the shapes. Also complex forms or fonts containing icons are vector based. So you can scale them at each size you want.

Windows can handle both types of fonts via the normal GDI graphic functions. If you have installed the font (e.g. c:\windows\fonts) you can use it with CreateFont and DrawText.
Posted on 2002-06-20 04:05:58 by beaster
beaster: i think Noobe is talking about
oldskool bitmap fonts, as show down

i think to use this kind of fonts you need
to make yourself a function wich parse
the bitmap and returns a smaller bitmap
containing the letter

you can check http://www.student.oulu.fi/~loorni/software.htm BME engine - C code
Posted on 2002-06-20 05:42:43 by TBD
i wonder if what i try to do is possible without major problems.
i want to use a bitmap image that contains the alphabet as a font, like you can see it used in alot of demo/intros (im not sure how they do it) but basicly it would be to load a char from the bitmap into memory somewhere and when i type the letter 'A' to screen it should show the bitmap 'a' instead of a windows font.
im not sure if this can be understod by anyone but me =(
seems i have difficulty explaining in english

:alright:
Posted on 2002-06-20 05:45:31 by Noobe
TBD thanks alot thats exactly what i was trying to talk about ;)
Posted on 2002-06-20 05:46:54 by Noobe
Wow! Haven't seen this for a couple of years :)
I have an archive of AMIGA bitmap fonts (but IFF format, not BMP), with 8*8 or 16*16 Pixels and 32 colors...
Posted on 2002-06-20 08:28:07 by beaster
While on the subject of fonts..

Can you include a TTF font as a resource instead of having to include fonts the oldschool way by including bitmaps/jpgs which just bloat up filesize and doesn't provide a good scaleable font ?
( & instead of having to install the font )

/Flyke
Posted on 2002-06-20 09:03:17 by Flyke
>but IFF format, not BMP
originaly was IFF format i converted so i can
add to msgb

now i deal with almost the same problem ...
i have a picture (as volume.bmp from winamp)
with different stages of a slider and i want
to put it on screen.

it's in JPG format in resource and i use OleLoadPicture

is a way to use BitBlt instead IPicture.Render (saw
IPicture.get_CurDC but doesnt work)
Posted on 2002-06-20 09:05:21 by TBD
Some one else asked the same question how to include .ttf's into resources...

I figured out a method: Here

NaN
Posted on 2002-06-20 14:45:24 by NaN
Very sweet NaN ! ThanX !

/Flyke
Posted on 2002-06-20 19:20:16 by Flyke