Does anyone have a doc or pointer to where I can find out the parameters and actions for each of the VB MSBVMxx.dll calls that get made? I have a VB5 prog which Ive disassembled and Im trying to figure what variables go where and what each VB call does... (although some are fairly obvious i Know)

FK
Posted on 2002-06-24 18:47:17 by freddyk
wrong board, i'm afraid :rolleyes:
Posted on 2002-06-24 18:50:03 by Tola
Why is that? I am writing a Win32Asm prog and using the VB one as a starting point but need to know how it does certain things - wouldn't that make it board?

FK
Posted on 2002-06-24 19:05:57 by freddyk
first of all, studying vb will probably not help you at all if you want to write anything in asm. ;)
moreover, you should read the rules for this board.
Reverse engineering is allowed in certain countries for interoperability purposes but it is forbidden in others. Due to the multi-nationality of this board and the fact that its server is on American soil, it is not allowed to discuss reverse engineering, this for your protection as well as ours.

yep, that's the way it is :)
Posted on 2002-06-24 19:16:59 by Tola
The msvbvm*0.dll exports are not officially documented, and for good reason, as they are not designed to be used by everybody. You should not attempt to use any of those functions, as their implementation could change at any time. And if you were to use some of those functions, that would mean that you would have to distribute that dll with your exe, and that would be against its licence, asyou may only distribute it with VB applications. Anyway, a lot of the functions are just glorified wrappers for API calls.

A lot of the functionality you will need is in freely available libraries, which you link to your exe. For starters, check out masm32.lib which comes with hutch's masm package. If you require other functionality, just post your question here to the forum, and the members will be quick to help you.
Posted on 2002-06-24 20:36:48 by sluggy
I dont think my question came across right - as ive now been told where to go over it ;^(

I dont need extra functionality i have no problem coding Win32Asm apps for everything for myself - i was just looking for a reference guide to VB to see what args where involved with each VB call so i could understand what this program i was studying was actually doing line by line... thanks anyway.

FK
Posted on 2002-06-24 20:50:47 by freddyk
Yep, like i said, no such reference exists....
Posted on 2002-06-25 00:04:53 by sluggy

was just looking for a reference guide to VB to see what args where involved with each VB call so i could understand what this program i was studying was actually doing line by line... thanks anyway.

As Tola already told you, this is the wrong board for that kind of question.

And remove the link to your website ASAP, or we do it for you!
The contents of your website violate the board rules, too:

There will be no linking to any cracking, warez, virii or reverse-engineering site direct nor indirect, not in messages, private messages or member home page URLs.

If you want to understand the VB program, send a email to the autor and ask him for the source code.

Regards,
bAZiK
Posted on 2002-06-25 01:18:48 by bazik