I am guessing this is either a Win2k or both a Win2k and NT question.

I finally got my hands on a Riched20.dll that is version 2. However on my 2k box I am unable to test it. This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen, but I can go to the system folder and shift-delete my version 3 one out of existance, and as soon as I close the file explorer and start up a new one to go look again *poof* its magically there again. This behaviour also happens when I try and replace it with the older one (after saving a copy first of course).

This is extreamly frustrating. Is there some services program or something running that is checking this folder and refreshing its contents that I need to disable?

Since I have not had this problem before now, I am guessing it is system files specific.

Thanks for any info!
:grin:
Posted on 2002-07-01 09:39:03 by Graebel
win2k+ run file protection technology. certain files are cached so if you delete the original the system replaces it with a backup.
To chnage protectd files you must turn it off. do a google for windows file protection for mor info...
Posted on 2002-07-01 10:02:51 by MArtial_Code
I think I will just leave it well enough alone and do all my Version 2 testing from my home 98 box.

Important: You must have a kernel debugger attached to the system via null modem cable (for example:I386kd.exe or Windbg.exe) to use SFCDisable = 1 or SFCDisable = 2.

Thats just too much trouble to go through (recommended step for disabling WFP feature) via registry. Anywho, thanks Martial. Thats some interesting reading. Learn something new everyday :grin:!
Posted on 2002-07-01 10:36:19 by Graebel
Talk about weird. In my autoexec.bat file there is a line that my sound blaster software threw in that can not be deleted no matter what i,ve tried in dos/win etc. I no longer have the software installed so i get "Bad command or file name" for that line. If i erase it or put REM it will magically reappear on boot up without REM. My brother and i tried everything for an entire afternoon with no luck.

Any ideas?

:alright:
Posted on 2002-07-01 13:58:46 by IwasTitan
Graebel, you can delete DllCache and DriverCache to get around
WFP... or you can just put the riched20.dll in the directory of you
application, and it should be loaded from there instead of the
system directory (if not - give full path to the DLL and use LoadLibrary).
Posted on 2002-07-01 14:04:39 by f0dder
You can use this to disable the file protection:
http://collakesoftware.com/WfpAdmin/CSWfpAdmin.htm

Or just copy the dll in the dllcache folder :)
Posted on 2002-07-01 14:28:39 by bazik
f0dder:

Hmm, didnt think of that. I will try it there and several other places (include folders and such). I bet one of them just might work. The language I am using atm loads the DLL and creates objects and wrappers for the controls so I dont have the option to give the full path.

bAZiK:

Thanks =)
if I cant get it to work using f0dder's first suggestion, I will grab that and give it a whirl.
Posted on 2002-07-01 14:46:15 by Graebel
IwasTitan,

about that SoundBlaster stuff: I had the same problem (although the dievice is installed yet). It is 16-Bit driver CTSYN16.DRV writing these lines. So this driver is still loaded on your machine.

(I have patched this file so it writes its stuff to c:\temp\ct.tmp now). Ugly workaround, but it works.
Posted on 2002-07-02 02:27:52 by japheth
japheth thanx for steering me in the right direction

:alright:
Posted on 2002-07-02 19:40:01 by IwasTitan

Graebel, you can delete DllCache and DriverCache to get around
WFP... or you can just put the riched20.dll in the directory of you
application, and it should be loaded from there instead of the
system directory (if not - give full path to the DLL and use LoadLibrary).
Hi f0dder, on Win2K SP2 DllCache was there, but I can't find DriverCache.
Posted on 2002-07-03 04:41:28 by Maverick
C:\winnt\system32\dllcache
c:\winnt\driver cache

:grin:
Posted on 2002-07-03 05:28:24 by bazik
Thanks bAZik, I had previously tried "Search for Files or Folders" with "DriverCache" and didn't find it :grin:
Honestly I even tried "Cache" and "Driver", but I could swear they didn't show up at that time. O:-)
Posted on 2002-07-03 06:18:11 by Maverick
No problem :)

Search for "Driver*" next time :tongue:
Posted on 2002-07-03 06:45:08 by bazik
"Driver" by itself matches "*Driver*", while "Driver*" only matches "Driver*"
Posted on 2002-07-03 10:16:06 by f0dder
Nah, not on my XP box, f0dder :)
Posted on 2002-07-03 14:40:29 by bazik

EDIT: Ignore it, I should read your post more carefully next time :tongue:
Posted on 2002-07-03 14:42:51 by bazik
weird... it's like that on my 2k box, and it was also like that when I ran XP :)
Posted on 2002-07-03 15:01:04 by f0dder